Chapter 35

"Are you planning on going to Fun Town this weekend?" Lyla asked Shawn before taking a bite of her lunch.

"Hell no. I hate Fun Town," Shawn told her.

"What? How?"

"It's overpriced and corny."

"Aw c'mon! I'm taking Piper. Why don't you come with us?"

"Not going to happen. I haven't gone the last 4 years and I am not going now."

"You just don't want to go because," Lyla paused and mimed taking a drink, "won't be there."

"First of all, stop doing the drink thing when you're talking about him. Second, my dad said a few of them were planning on going, so, he might actually be there."

"So, come! I'll guard the bushes while you two hook up," Lyla whispered excitedly.

"We wouldn't do that. If that's all I wanted I'd just have him meet me at my place," Shawn said. "Speaking of him... I have something to tell you."

"I'm sorry, who? I don't know who 'him' is," Lyla said sarcastically. Shawn sighed and then begrudgingly mimed taking a drink.

"Oh, him. Okay. Got it. Go on."

"I kind of don't want to tell you now."

"Oh, come on. The drink thing is funny," Lyla defended herself.

"You just get so into it. You even purse your lips and swallow like you took an actual drink."

"Tell me!"

Shawn smiled and bit her lip. "He told me he's in love with me last night."

"Aww. He loves you? Did you say it back?"

"I actually said it first. He said it back."

"Wow. That's so damn cute," Lyla leaned her head on her hand.

"What's up with you?" Shawn laughed. "You look like you're about to swoon."

"Sorry. I've been single forever. I'm sort of living vicariously through you right now," Lyla said. Then she suddenly sat up a little straighter. "Come to Fun Town. I've never actually seen you two together before. And you're kind of together because of me, so..."

"We wouldn't be together then either. If he's even there, the other guys will be around. You'll just be watching us stare at each other from 50 feet away."

"So? Let me stare at you two while you stare at each other."

"That's so creepy."

"Alright, look, I know no one here. I'm going to feel so dumb standing there alone while Piper rides the rides. So, please, come."

"Really? That's the real reason you want me to come? That's all you had to say. Of course I'll come with you guys. I want to meet Piper anyway."

"Seriously? You will? Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!"

* * *

Gemma's dinner was an uneventful occasion. Tig ended up sitting in between Shawn and Juice, so even if either of them wanted to misbehave, they couldn't have. Shawn left when everyone else did and wasn't even off Gemma and Clay's street when her phone beeped, telling her she had a text message.

You have work to do tonight?

Shawn smiled at Juice's text and sent him a message back.

Nope. All caught up.

She didn't get another text by the time she got home, so she went inside after closing the garage door. Shawn decided to leave the back door unlocked in case Juice did come over and went upstairs to change her clothes. She pulled on a pair of capri leggings and went to her closet to find a shirt, but saw Juice's hoodie and chose that instead. She put the sleeve to her nose and inhaled. The smell of him had faded, leaving Shawn disappointed.

Going back downstairs, she went into the kitchen and opened the fridge to pull out a beer. The faint sound of a motorcycle could be heard coming from the alley. Shawn smiled and took out an extra beer for Juice. After opening them both, she leaned on the counter, sipping her beer and waiting. The back door opened a moment later and Juice appeared.

"Took you long enough," Shawn pointed out.

"I had to ride around for a few minutes to lose the other guys. You live too damn close to Clay, by the way." Juice shut and locked her door. Shawn motioned to his beer, but Juice ignored it and moved to stand right in front of her. He took her beer from her and set it on the counter before lifting Shawn onto the counter, too. "I hate being around you and not being able to touch you."

"I know," Shawn agreed as Juice kissed her. He pulled away after a few moments and smiled.

"You taste like weed."

Shawn laughed. "Yea, Gemma was passing around a joint while we were cooking."

"I didn't know you smoked."

"Just sometimes."

"Sometimes, like, right now?

"You have weed on you right now?" Shawn asked, genuinely surprised.

"Where do you think Gem got it from?" Juice asked with a raised eyebrow. He pulled a bag out of his hoodie.

"We are not smoking that... Inside my house."

"Backyard?" Juice asked and Shawn nodded. Juice led the way to the backdoor, but Shawn stopped him.

"Wait, trade me hoodies."

"Why?"

"This one doesn't smell like you anymore," Shawn complained.

Juice unzipped his and set it on the counter. "Don't wear it outside. It'll just end up smelling like weed, not me."

They finally made their way outside and sat in her lounge chairs. Juice rolled the joint and lit it.

"You're pretty good at that," Shawn observed.

"Lots of practice," Juice said and handed it to her. "You're really far away."

Shawn stood from her chair and went over to his. Juice slid over to make room for her. They sat quietly as they smoked. Juice liked that they didn't alway feel the need to talk. They were able to just enjoy being close to each other without filling the silence. He took one more pull from the joint and handed it to her. Then he kissed her temple.

"I love you," he whispered to her.

Shawn smiled and looked up at him. "I love you, too."