Chapter 170

The front door to Diosa opened, catching Shawn's attention. She glanced up to watch as Gemma stepped inside and saw her.

"Hi there," Shawn greeted her.

"Hey, sweetheart," Gemma said and approached her. Shawn stood and they hugged. "How you doing? I heard you and Tara got into it in county."

"Yeah, well, shit happens, I guess. I'm fine," Shawn told her.

"Good. Baby, too?"

"I called my doctor's office and asked them to move up my next appointment, you know, just to be safe. Everything feels good, though. Thank you, by the way, for the stroller and everything."

"No problem, baby. You read the note I put with it, right?"

"Yes. You don't need to worry, okay? I'm going to eat."

"Alright. I'll let you get back to the whores. Where's Nero?" Gemma asked.

"In his room, I think," Shawn answered and sat back down. Only another ten minutes passed before the door opened, again, and Jax walked in. "Nero's in his room with Gemma. Want me to get them for you?"

"Nah, I'll do it," Jax said and started walking over, but hesitated. He turned back to Shawn. "Can we talk actually?"

"Sure," Shawn said and leaned back in her seat.

"In private?"

"Okay," she said and stood up to follow Jax down the hall. He entered one of the bedrooms and waited for her to pass. Once Shawn was in, he shut the door. "What's going on?"

"I wanted to apologize. I didn't take Toric's threat seriously when you told me and I should have."

Shawn nodded. "It's okay. It's over now. For me, at least."

"Yeah, Tara still has the charges hanging over her head, but we'll figure it out. Which brings me to what I really wanted to talk to you about," Jax said and took a deep breath. "Did you know about Tara trying to make you a guardian for the boys?"

"Oh, shit. Yeah, I did. She mentioned it once. I told her I couldn't agree without talking to Juice first. Then everything happened and I just forgot, I guess," Shawn told him honestly. "Damn. I'm sorry. I'll tell her no if that's what you want me to do."

"You don't have to. Your fight in county must have made her change her mind. Tara moved on to Wendy, now."

"Is she crazy? That bitch couldn't keep a needle out of her arm while pregnant. What makes Tara think she'll be able to do it while taking care of two kids?"

"Honestly, I have no idea. I'm against it. I was thinking maybe I could compromise with her. If she keeps you listed as their guardian, then I'll agree to it. I don't want to, but if I have to, then I'd rather it be you than Wendy."

"I still have to talk to Juice."

"I won't count on it then," Jax said with a bitter smirk. "He sure likes telling me no these days."

"He told you no once," Shawn reasoned.

"How do you know that?" Jax asked, sounding pissed. "What did Juice tell you?"

"Nothing," Shawn said, feeling uneasy. "Just that you asked him to do something and he said no. He thought you were pissed at him. Juice only tells me what I need to know."

"And you're okay with that?" Jax asked skeptically.

"Yes... And no. If I want to know more, I ask. If he thinks he can tell me he does. If not, then I drop it."