Chapter 22

Shawn pulled into the parking lot of a nearby grocery store followed by 2 bikes. They parked right next to her and Shawn saw that Jax brought Juice along. Shawn got a cart and the three went straight to the beer and liquor section. Jax was several steps ahead of Shawn and Juice when he grabbed a bottle of vodka off the shelf.

"Shawn, think fast!" Jax said and tossed the bottle into the air. Before Shawn could react, Juice put his hand out and caught the bottle.

"Thank you, Juice. Jax, you're a prick," Shawn told them.

Jax just laughed and grabbed two cases of beer and put them in the cart. When he looked up and passed Shawn, his face changed.

"Holy shit," Jax said, stunned. Shawn and Juice turned to see what he was looking at.

"Holy shit," Shawn repeated, only louder, getting the attention of the brunette girl they were looking at. Juice glanced at Shawn, who looked annoyed, then to Jax who was still in shock.

The brunette approached them. "Hey, guys. I wondered how long it would take me to run into you."

"What are you doing here?" Shawn asked her, her voice hostile.

"My dad died. I'm here for his funeral and to pack up his house," the girl's voice now starting to match Shawn's tone.

"And then you'll leave, again, right?" Shawn asked her.

"Shawn," Jax said, "would you mind giving us a minute?"

Shawn shot him a dirty look. Jax pulled out a wad of bills and handed some to Juice.

"C'mon, let's go pay for this stuff," Juice told her. Shawn began to walk away.

"It was good to see you, Shawn," the girl said as Shawn passed her. "You look much better."

"Fuck you," Shawn said and almost stopped, but Juice put his hand on the small of her back to urge her forward.

They paid for everything and Juice put it all in Shawn's car. She was leaning on the side of the car and Juice joined her when he was done.

"So, who was that?" Juice asked.

"That's Tara. Jax's ex."

"You really don't like her, huh?"

"If you had seen Jax after she left, you wouldn't like her either."

Jax came out of the store and walked over to them. "You guys ready?"

"Yea," Juice answered and Shawn just shrugged.

"Listen," Jax said to Shawn, "don't tell Gemma, alright? I'll do it."

"Fine," she agreed and opened her car door.

"And I told her she shouldn't have said anything about how you looked. She's sorry."

"Yea, I'm sure she is," Shawn said and got in her car. Pulling out of the lot with Jax and Juice right behind her, she headed for the clubhouse.

Once they got there and the guys got the alcohol out of her car, she followed them inside. Piney was at the bar and he greeted Shawn.

"Hey, sweetheart. Can I buy you a drink?" Piney joked with her.

"Good looking guy like you, Piney? I might let you buy me two."

Tig called Shawn over a moment later to play a game of pool with him. Juice stayed by the bar, but watched the game. Shawn was kicking Tig's ass.

"How the hell am I losing right now?" Tig said after Shawn sunk another ball.

"The student has become the teacher," Shawn told him and lined up another shot, which she missed. "See, now you're just distracting me."

"You playing for money?" Bobby asked.

"No, but maybe we should be," Shawn laughed.

"I'll put money on it right now and then everyone can witness the greatest come back in history," Tig said boldly.

"Shit, I'll put down $50 on Shawn," Jax said.

"I'll match that for Tig," Chibs joined them.

"Another $50 for Shawn," Juice bet.

"Tig," Bobby said.

Some of the other guys made more bets as the game continued. Tig started to come back, but Shawn still only had the 8 ball to sink before she won. Tig took a shot and missed, lining up the cue for the perfect shot at the 8 ball for her. Shawn smiled broadly.

"Oh, Goddammit," Tig complained. Some groans came from the guys who bet on Tig.

"Sorry, boys," Shawn said as she sunk the 8 ball.