Chapter 140

Juice dropped Shawn off at the hospital the next day, not that Shawn wanted to go. Her choices were limited until SAMCRO could find the people who hurt Tara. She had thought about going to the clubhouse, but Jax had called to ask her to sit with Tara while he was gone. Neither she, nor apparently Tara, had told him how Tara had acted towards her the day before.

She saw Jax on his way out when she arrived, but didn't stop to talk to him, only giving him a small wave as they passed each other. He had acted differently the night before when he left Tara's room and sat with Shawn in the waiting room. She had wondered if Tara had been short with him as well. She didn't ask, not wanting to pry, and he didn't tell her.

She neared Tara's room and saw Phil talking to a woman who had her back to Shawn. Phil looked up to see Shawn, his face uncertain, like he was looking for permission to do something. Shawn gave him a puzzled look back, but before she could saw anything, the woman turned and Shawn saw Wendy's face.

"She said she's family?" Phil told Shawn.

"Did she?" Shawn said as she looked at Wendy.

"Hi, Shawn," Wendy greeted her.

"What are you doing here?" Shawn decided to skip the pleasantries and get straight to the point.

"I just moved back about two weeks ago from my sober living facility in Seattle. I got a job in a rehab center and we do a lot of hospital work. I looked for Tara and they told me she was up here."

"Why were you looking for Tara?" Shawn asked, her voice was firm. Wendy had signed away her rights to Abel and left for Seattle right after Donna's funeral. No one had heard from her since. Her coming back without telling anyone before hand didn't sit well with Shawn and she wasn't in the mood to hide her distrust.

"I've been trying to wait for the right time."

"And you thought now that she's stuck in a hospital bed was the right time?"

"Look, I just want to talk to Tara. Quite frankly, this is none of your business," Wendy told her.

"Make it my business," Shawn said as she stepped closer to Wendy, "because if I tell Phil here not to let you anywhere near Tara, you won't be talking to her for a long time."

Wendy looked up at Phil questioningly. Phil had picked up on Shawn's attitude towards Wendy and now was looking back at her with a scowl, confirming Shawn's words to Wendy.

"I just want to see my son," Wendy said.

"You don't have a son."

"I am still his mother."

"Biologically. You gave up your rights."

"Custody, yes. Not the right for him to know the truth."

"Now that really is none of your business. When you gave up your rights, you gave up having a say in what Abel does or does not know."

"I swear to God, Shawn, if you or anyone else try to box me out, I will get a lawyer and make this shit loud and messy."

"Then get a damn lawyer. Any lawyer willing to take your case will lose anyways because they're clearly an idiot. No one forced you to sign away your rights. You did that all on your own. Until you get a lawyer, stay the hell away from Tara and Abel."

"Or what? You going to kill me, Shawn?" Wendy asked skeptically.

"No. But your exhusband might."

"Maybe you should check with Jax or Tara before trying to threaten me."

"I don't have to. I know Jax better than you do and you know it. That's why you never liked me while you were married to him," Shawn said, then looked at Phil. "Can you make sure Wendy finds her way to the elevator, please?"