Chapter 103

Shawn answered her ringing phone as she walked in her back door after work later that night. She hadn't recognized the phone number, but she didn't care. She was hoping to hear Juice's voice on the other end.

"Hello?"

"Hey, babe," Juice said, his voice gave away that he'd been drinking.

"You drunk?" Shawn asked, laughing.

"I had a beer or 10."

"Leave it to you guys to get there and immediately start drinking."

"Yeah... Well... It was a rough first day."

"What happened? Is it Abel?" Shawn panicked.

"No, no. Abel is fine. I think. We don't have him, yet. Sorry, that's not what I meant."

"Oh, okay," Shawn breathed a sigh. "It's really late there, right? Maybe you should get some sleep."

"I wanted to hear my girl's voice. All the girl's here have accents and I hardly know what they're saying. I couldn't understand this one chick so I just smiled and nodded at her, which was a mistake because she got all up on me after that. I practically had to beat her away with a stick."

"Oh. Great," Shawn replied. "Well, you know, that's probably going to keep happening since no one knows we're together."

"Yeah, I know."

"I know now is probably not the best time, but we really need to talk about this. We're running out of time."

"When we get back, okay?" Juice promised.

"Yeah," Shawn said unconvinced. "Yeah, okay."

* * *

The sound of a motorcycle interrupted her breakfast the next morning. Shawn stood from her seat at her kitchen island and walked over to unlock the front door for her father. He walked right in without greeting her.

"I need you to get to the clubhouse. Right now," he told her.

"I can't. I work this morning."

"I'm serious, Shawn. I need you there."

"Why? What's going on?" Shawn asked suspiciously.

"Someone took Tara last night. I want you at the clubhouse so I know you're safe."

"Shit, Tara's been kidnapped?" Shawn asked and Tig nodded. "Do you know by who?"

"We're working on getting her back. But first I need you. At the clubhouse. Now."

"I can't," Shawn reasoned. "Dad, I just started this job. I'm not working for Luanne anymore. I can't just come and go as I please."

"Shawn-"

"If they wanted me, I was here, alone, all night. They could have busted down the door and took me."

"Right and now we're not going to give them another chance because you'll be safe-"

"At work with a prospect watching me. C'mon, compromise with me here."Tig sighed.

"Why are you just as stubborn as your mother was?"

"Am I, though? You're pretty stubborn yourself."

"Fine. Go to work. I'll send Miles to keep an eye on things."

"He's not the one who grabbed my ass, right?"

"No, that was Shepard. He's gone. He was supposed to watch Lumpy's and bailed at the first sign of trouble."

"What happened at Lumpy's?"

"Long story short. These people are trying to get Lumpy to sell the gym and they sent someone to rough him up to scare him. Now, go to work. Miles will meet you there. When you're done for the day, go to the clubhouse. If we don't get Tara back today, I want you staying the night there tonight."

"Really?"

"Part of the compromise."

"Fine. Let me get some stuff then, just in case."

"I'll wait here," Tig told her. Shawn headed up the stairs and he called up after her. "You know, considering you were just kidnapped yourself not that long ago, I'd think you'd be easier on me about this."

"Not in my nature."

 * * *

Shawn was at the pool table with Miles when Tig walked in later that night with Kozik not far behind.

"Anything?" Shawn asked. Tig went behind the bar to get a drink and Kozik walked over to the pool table.

"No. We'll get her back tomorrow. Guys are on their way home as we speak. They'll be here in the morning," Tig told her.

"Abel?" Shawn asked anxiously.

"Safe and sound," Tig said.

"Jax was holding him when we called," Kozik added.

"Oh, thank God," Shawn sighed in relief.

"Who's winning?" Kozik asked.

"She is," Miles answered a little bitterly.

"That's my girl," Tig said.

"You playing for money?" Kozik wondered.

"Yeah," Miles said. "She acted like she didn't know how to play and then bet me $100."

"Nice," Kozik said.

"I did not act like I didn't know how to play," Shawn argued. "I said it had been awhile and it has."

"You said you normally just roll the balls around the table and hope for the best," Miles pointed out.

"And I do," Shawn said. "Didn't you see me playing with Kenny and Piper during that last lockdown? We're just rolling the balls around and I was hoping not to get hit."

"You let a chick play you like that? Idiot," Kozik snorted and then winked at Shawn. "I'll play winner."

"Actually, I'm done. Here," Shawn said and handed Kozik the pool cue before heading over to sit at the bar with Tig. "So, you and Kozik are good now?"

Tig looked over at him for a moment then shrugged. "Not really. I miss her too much."

"Yeah, me too. Missy was a good dog."

"She was apart of the family and then that idiot had to get drunk and leave the door open."

"I still can't believe she got hit by a car. She knew not to run into the street."

"She must have seen a squirrel or something," Tig said. "You know when we go back inside, I need you to check on your sisters."

"I will," Shawn promised. "I'll shoot them a text once a month or something."

"Once a week," Tig told her.

"You don't even talk to them that much," Shawn pointed out.

"Every other week?"

"I'll try. No promises. They hate me, you know."

"That's my fault, kid. I was still so in love with your mother and Colleen knew it and took it out on you. They picked up on it and..."

"Monkey see, monkey do?" Shawn finished for him.

"Unfortunately," Tig said. "I know I'm not good at showing it, but I love you and I love your sisters. I worry about you girls a lot."

"I'm fine. Really. You don't have to worry about me."

Tig nodded and finished his beer. He grabbed two more bottles and opened them both before giving one to Shawn. He lifted his bottle and Shawn copied him so they could clink their bottles together before taking a drink.