Chapter 62

Shawn hurried into Cara Cara the next morning. It was her first day back at work since the studio was raided and she was running late. She hadn't planned on it, but Shawn ended up staying the night at Juice's place and had to hurry home in the morning to change for work. As she power walked into the studio, she hoped no one noticed her tardiness. Shawn made it all the way into Luanne's office before anyone talked to her.

"Late on your first day back?" Luanne asked.

"Dammit. I should have known you'd notice," Shawn said.

"Probably. Girls are almost ready. I want to start shooting that new movie today."

"Okay."

"Feel like directing the first scene?"

"Really? You've never let me direct movie scenes before. Just the internet stuff."

"I trust you more now. You can do this. You're good at it."

"Wow, thanks."

Shawn set her purse down and walked over to set to get to work.

"You got the big seat today, huh?" Lyla asked when she saw Shawn sit down in the director's chair.

"You know it."

"Hey, how's my ass look in this?" Lyla said and turned to show off the very little skirt she had on.

"Eh, maybe you should go do some squats before we get started," Shawn joked.

"Wait, really?"

"No. Your ass is fine."

"Just fine?"

"Your ass is amazing. Just think of all those teenage boys who are going to yank their chains to your ass."

"That's better. Though you could tone down the sarcasm," Lyla said with a laugh.

The rest of the girls came out of their dressing rooms then and Shawn got everyone together so they could get to work.

* * *

Luanne ordered a large lunch for everyone and Shawn ran out when she was done directing to pick it all up. As she was leaving the restaurant, her phone rang and Shawn saw a number she didn't recognize on her screen.

"Hello?"

"I'm looking for a Shawn Trager," a deep male voice informed her.

"Speaking," Shawn said with curiosity.

"Please hold," he told her and then there was a click.

"What the fu-"

"Hi, Shawn," another voice, also male, but not as deep, came on the line. "My name is Georgie Caruso. I'm the owner and producer/director at Caruso Productions."

"Yeah. I know who you are. Why are you calling me?"

"Real unfortunate thing, Cara Cara getting raided. It's only a matter of time before it happens again and this time, it may be closed permanently."

"I feel like you have a point. I'm just wishing you'd make it already," Shawn told him.

"I want to offer you a job."

"I'm not interested," Shawn interrupted him.

"You haven't heard my offer, yet," Georgie argued.

"I am not interested," Shawn said more forcefully and was about to hang up before Georgie spoke, again.

"Maybe we should speak face to face. Some of my guys can be very persuasive," Georgie said, his tone no longer friendly.

"Are you threatening me?"

"I'm warning you. I always get what I want and what I want right now is you to work for me."

"Well, I have some guys of my own who don't take kindly to people threatening me or warning me. And I do whatever I damn well please because, quite frankly, I don't give a shit what you want. Have a nice day, Georgie."

Shawn hung up on him this time and climbed into her car. She was on edge as she drove back to Cara Cara. Once she arrived and parked her car, she motioned to a couple of the maintence guys who were outside so they could bring in the food. Shawn walked into the studio and made a beeline for Luanne.

"I need to talk to you," Shawn said in Luanne's ear. Luanne nodded and followed Shawn into her office.

"What's going on?" Luanna asked cautiously as she closed the door.

"Georgie Caruso just called me to offer me a job. Wasn't too happy when I said no."

"That shit bag. If he's calling you, who knows who else he could be calling."

"Or meeting face to face. He offered to have a few of his guys persuade me to go work for him."

"Persuade you how?"

"Well, he didn't go into specifics, but I don't think he meant it in a friendly way."

"You didn't say anything that would stir shit up, did you?"

"I... might have lightly stirred some shit."

"Shawn," Luanne said disapprovingly.

"I didn't tell him to fuck off at least, right?"

Luanne sighed and shook her head. "Let's get some of the girls talking. We can get a feel for who's been in contact with Georgie and what they're thinking."

"No one is going to tell either of us if they're thinking of making a switch."

"You're close with Lyla, right?"

"Yeah. Want me to talk to her? Then she could talk to some of the others."

"That's what I'm thinking. Don't talk to her here, though. Try to keep it on the low down."

"Do you mean down low?"

"You know what I mean. Get it done," Luanne said and walked out of the office.

Shawn blew out a puff of air and sat in her seat. "Yes, boss."