Scroll 10: Reim versus Magnostadt

Northern Mountains
Thais' POV

"You've got to be kidding me! Why the hell is it snowing!?" I grumbled as we made our way towards the red head king. The dead stick I had in my hand was ready to crumble into pieces. Daw chuckled as he saw my struggle and I swear that I will kick the hell out of him.

"Milady, we should be approaching King Neil's kingdom." He reported.

"How long?" I asked. He smiled at me and replied that we will reach it in about 3 hours. I gave him a deadpan stare before leaving him to freeze. I was in no mood to joke around.

Magnostadt

Reim Empire, the supreme ruler of the western continent, was established 730 years ago by the Emperor Remus and under the rule of Emperor Perdinaus. Two hundred elven years ago, it reached its maximum expansion. Years after, the Parthevia Empire rose and opposed Reim. They were, however, forced to yield some parts of its territory. Right now, Reim's soldiers and their countless spears were blocked by an invisible and thin protective wall made of magic.

"Guah!" One of the soldiers shouted in pain. The barrier did not budge even one bit at their simultaneous attack. A magician in the front row exited the barrier and released a strong magic that blew about 10 soldiers away from the said place. The Magnostadt soldiers praised and thanked their esteemed magician before gaining courage to attack full force. The Reim Empire was not fazed. However, they knew that they have to do something to bring them to their knees.

"What the hell is that?" A magician exclaimed as hot air balloons surged through the air. There were hundreds of them and for sure, they were carrying something destructive. The soldiers of Reim brought down their secret weapons and it hit the barrier pretty hard. The damage was almost similar to a destructive magic and the magicians were fazed. Many exclaimed that it was some type of magic, but Scheherazade voiced out that it was not that. A year ago, the people of Reim experimented on the plants and minerals they have in their country. They tested whether they would be able to help in wars or alleviate disease in their land.

"Gunpowder?" Scheherazade asked.

"Yes. In order to be prepared for the fight in the near future against the Kou Empire and Magnostadt, we continued to research and finally, our research bore fruit. By using saltpeter, Sulphur, and iron vitriol, we can create heat and explosion that is normally not present in nature. It is somewhat similar to an aberrant magic. Probably, no country has ever developed something like this." A researcher of Reim boasted. Scheherazade smiled at their efforts. Reim was learning to stand on their own. Ignatius was surprised by Lady Scheherazade's story and praised her for her brilliance. She simply denied it.

"It was not I whom you should be amazed, Ignatius. It was Reim's people who developed this. Why isn't Reim waging war with more metal vessels and further developing its country like Kou and Magnostadt? Simply because they must walk on their own feet. I don't want them to rely on magic which could render them too dependent and useless when the time comes where magic will eventually die."

Lady Scheherazade and Ignatius watched their country's men slowly destroy the magicians' barrier. Cracks formed on the damaged areas and Matal Mogamett was struck by their competence. The magi of Reim spoke softly as she told Mogamett that people can live by themselves. Even if the magicians were to disappear, it did not mean that the others would just die off. No, slowly, they will learn how to manage themselves. The lady believed that every man must learn for themselves. They may create mistakes, get hurt, and even stop for a while, but she believed that they will move forward.

"With their own strength, with their own legs, the sum of individualities that believe in themselves. The assembly of people who incessantly improve themselves. That is the Reim Empire!" A loud crack and breaking of the barrier resounded throughout the battlefield and many rejoiced at their efforts. The soldiers regained their feet and marched towards their enemies.