Scroll 8: Countdown

Khamisa stared at the sky as a billowing gust engulfed her. The magic in her body seemed to wish control over her body, but she did not let it. Instead, she focused it on her hand as she commanded the rukh to take shape. Half of her mind was on her magic, but the other seemed to drift towards her friend, Titus. He was not human and even she could tell that there was something different about him. He was a clone of the magi, Scheherazade. What were the odds? Right now, war was near and they will have to protect the home of the magicians.

'Is this really what's on the surface? Is Magnostadt not hiding anything? What caused them to be so hell bent on establishing some country? I came here not long ago to discover it, but I don't know if those two magi will be able to answer all of my questions.' She thought as her hands dropped to her sides. Not soon, Aladdin came into her view.

"Khamisa? Is there something wrong?" He asked. She could not help, but stare at his bright eyes in hopes that her questions would answer.

"Why did you come to Magnostadt? I am sure that you have heard of the tales that surrounded this country." She retorted. Aladdin's eyes widened at her perceptiveness. He turned his back against her and relayed his mission.

"There is darkness that lies in this academy and I plan to stop it. I did not really think that you will easily find out that there is something I was hiding. How about you, Khamisa? Why did you come to this country?" He asked in return. She held her staff tightly and voiced out her reasons. She wanted to know the truth of the world. Aladdin was astonished by such far-fetched dream. Suddenly, he was reminded of his sister.

"You remind me of Thais-nee. She also want to find out the truth of this world. I wish you could meet her." He replied in glee. Khamisa's curiosity peaked at his words. This lady must be something and she did want to meet new people, but for now, they will have to face the war that approaches. Khamisa urged Aladdin to return and take rest. The war will not be easy. 

The next day, Matal Mogamett had announced to others that they had declared war to Reim. It did not surprise her anymore, but it still pained her to hear it directly from the director. Some of the magicians were scared and even planned on fleeing. She could not blame them for such act. Pain and fear filled her body. They have a week to prepare for the war.

"I'm going to practice my magic. How about you guys?" She asked behind her. Sphintus and Aladdin debated whether they would want to go or not. It seemed that there was something they had to do. She understood their predicament so, she left without any words.

Khamisa trudged towards the land carefully before holding her staff. The negative energy pent up inside her burst at their seams. She raised it and the wind picked up at her command. Soon, gust filled the air and she ordered another command. This time, ice crystals accompanied it. Continuous magic was used and she did not even tire. Her training lasted for about three hours.

"That sure was a lot of magic, Kid." She was startled by a manly voice behind her. Behind her stood a large beast, about 5 feet in height with golden fur and startling purple eyes. Its claws were firm and pretty sharp. Cautiously, she backed away from the beast who noticed her sudden movement. It sighed and told her to calm down.

"Geez, Kid. No need to get so scared. I am not going to hurt you. I was simply hiding here while waiting for somebody when I felt a surge of power nearby. Letting out some steam now are we?" It–well he–smirked. She noticed the masculinity in his tone and it was not nice to call him an it. He introduced himself as Kaein and she reluctantly gave out her name.

"Khamisa, huh? Doesn't that mean five? Why were you named after a number?" He asked. His statement actually made her laugh because even she did not know why she was named after number. She could only remember that the people in her tribe were named in numbers as well. Kaein shook his head at the ridiculousness. He walked over to her and asked, "You were practicing your magic for something?" She nodded and told him about the upcoming war. He did not show it, but Kaein already knew about it. Some information would not hurt her nor him so he took the chance to gather some.