Scroll 12: Progress

Inn
Thais' POV

I was having my tea when a knock on the door brought me back to reality. Trudging towards it, I was met by a kid with brown hair and striking red eyes. Behind him was my Arjwani companion, Kaein. He looked away in shame for bringing the kid.

"Good evening. May I ask who you are?" He looked at me deadly in the eyes.

"I am Sivan, the child of King Leonhart Demeus and Queen Hotaru Levian. I want to talk to you. Based from what I can see, you're this Arjwani's companion." He greeted.

"That he is. Let us discuss everything inside. Come, help yourself with some spare travel food from different countries." He sat opposite from me and never touched the food I laid in front of him. I sighed before allowing Luna and Kaein to rest for the night. They were reluctant but left us, nevertheless.

"So what is it that you want to hear from me, Sivan?" I asked. He let out a heavy sigh before asking who I was, what my goals were and what was my connection with the king. I simply told him that this country was special to me and when I heard  about the rumors, I knew I had to do something. Sivan was silent for a second before giving me a gist of what happened in Yrif. It was unsafe to tell that, sure, but this kid trusted me. I did not know why.

"You know, Sivan, I don't have any problem with you telling me those things but you have to be careful with spouting all those informations. Although you're smart for somebody who's only ten, you're quite naive in some ways. I appreciate every information you've relayed though and I promise to help you the best I can." I commented. He looked at me in disdain, but reasoned out the importance for the matter in hand.

"I am naive, true, but I feel like I could trust you. This country took a huge toll for the past 10 years now and I want to change that. I've heard from people how Yrif was different from today than years ago. I want it to prosper again, filled with trust and courage. Most importantly, I want to see my parents smile." He murmured. I felt great sympathy for the kid so I reached for his head and beamed a smile.

"I'll try to help with the best that I can. I knew you snuck out but you have to return soon. Your parents must be worried. Luna, please escort Sivan back to the castle grounds. I assume that Kaein told you everything." Luna's ears perked from that before stretching up to accompany the young prince. Sivan gave me one last look before bidding me good night. Once they were out, I called out to the person by the window.

"You can come out now, Daw." I smirked. Turning behind, I saw that he only aged a little. His appearance was still the same except for the little trinkets here and there. He bowed down.

"M-Milady. You're back! I-I am so happy to see you alive." I was fairly surprised that he recognized me easily but this was Daw we were talking about. He was very observant even back then. I stood up from my chair and reached for his cheeks.

"It's been 14 and a half years. I can't believe that a long time has passed. You've done well serving Leon, Daw. I've heard everything from Sivan. What happened to the elders I've appointed? Why did they suddenly change?" I asked with a hint of disappointment in my tone. Daw avoided my gaze. Sivan stated that two of the elders were using their power to corrupt the system from inside out. They were doing it behind Leonhart's back. Underground black markets had been created, smuggling was done which decreased the amount of supply in the area, the slum people were forced to leave their homes, the tax was raised horrendously and a rumor of Al-Thamen being involved was highly suspected. Right now, those shunned people were revolting against the government and the King seemed to have lost his cool.

"I have to do something but I can't just suddenly reveal myself. This will cause confusion and anger towards the people. It would be better if I support you from the shadows. Daw, will you aid me once more? I am not the princess of this country anymore. Or so I don't think I am since I was proclaimed dead. I want to be of assistance and see this country shine with light. Are you willing?" My eyes were set on his own. It was mixed with different emotions. Daw was usually in control of his own but with the things that transpired here, it must have stressed him out.