Chapter 20: Practice (2/3)

Violet was shaking. "Are you sure it was him?" She asked, gripping onto the picture tighter.

"Forensic DNA evidence as well as being identified by a family member both conclude that it was Eric's body." Agent Marissa said, holding Violet's trembling hand. "Now, I need you to cooperate."

"Am I a suspect?"

"Well, being his girlfriend at the time, that does make you one of our primary suspects in the murder."

Violet looked at her, puzzled. "Wasn't this an accident?"

"That was the initial assumption, yes, but upon further investigation at the scene, they found the vehicle was tampered with prior to the accident — the brakes were cut."

"Is Violet alright?!" Margaret looked up from the waiting room to see Alex, Joe, and Jason run in. "Is she?" Alex repeated.

"Hello, Mrs. McNeal." Jason said, smiling at her.

Margaret smiled back and patted the empty seats next to her. The group shuffled over, sitting down and all staring at her expectantly. "Well?" Alex asked

"Yes" Margaret said, an audible sigh emitted from every person in the group. "She's in there for questioning right now."

"Questioning?" Joe asked, "Why?"

"Yeah" Jason continued, "She was gone when it happened."

"That's why" Margaret explained, "It looks suspicious that she disappeared around the same time that he got in the accident."

"Well, didn't you hear?" Joe said, leaning forward. "It wasn't an accident."

"What?" Alex asked, "How do you know?"

"When they questioned me, the officer told me it wasn't an accident. His brakes were cut."

"Why did they tell you?"

"I...I don't know" Joe admitted, shrugging.

"Do they know how his brakes got cut?"

"They said it wasn't scissors, or a knife, it was something larger. With a rusted tip."

Margaret sat back, covering her mouth in shock. "Garden clippers..." She muttered, her breathing becoming uneven.

"Probably" Joe said, "But what's the-" She stopped mid sentence when she saw Margaret. "Mrs. McNeal?" She asked, "Mrs. McNeal, what's wrong?"