Chapter 19: Chandler (3/3)

"Drink." The woman said to Violet, giving her a glass of water. Violet grabbed it and brought the glass to her lips, slowly she drank the water, then started to chug it until the cup was empty.

She stared at the dark skinned woman across the table from her, "Thank you." She said, looking down at her hands.

"Miss McNeal, I understand you're nervous and scared, but we need to talk. We have you here for a reason, you have been missing for four days and-"

"Violet!" Her head shot up as her mother ran into the room. Violet stood up, running and wrapping her arms around her mom and she was pulled into a tight hug. Tears were streaming down Violet's face.

"Mom, god I missed you." She said into her mother's chest, tears staining her shirt.

"Where were you?" Margaret whispered, kissing Violet's head and hugging her tighter.

"Ma'am, we still need her for questioning." The officer said, slowly wedging herself in between Violet and her mom. "I'm sorry, but you're going to have to wait outside." She said, leading Violet back towards the metal chair.

"Mom!" Violet said, attempting to rush back in to the comfort her mothers arms.

"It's okay." Margaret said to Violet, "I'll be right out here waiting for you."

"So" The officer said, opening her notebook and staring at Violet. "Where were you four days ago on..." She looked at her notes. "Thursday, March 15th?"

"I was home." Violet said, resting her arms on the table.

"No" She said, "You weren't."

Violet clenched her jaw.

"Let's try this again, where were you?"

"I was home." Violet repeated.

"Where were you?" The officer asked again, pausing after each word.

"I was downtown."

"With who?"

"Jade"

"Who's Jade?"

"My friend"

"How long have you known her?"

Violet paused briefly. "A long while."

"Really? When she went in for questioning she said that she had met you that night. What did you and Jade do?"

"Went to a friends house and hung out." Violet replied simply.

"What friend?"

"I don't know his name."

"Was it, this man?" The officer pulled out a photo of Jake. Violet nodded. "Did he give you any drugs? What did he give you?"

Violet stayed silent, not meeting the Officer's eyes.

"Violet, you won't get in trouble for telling me this." Marissa leaned up, making eye contact with her. Marissa's eyes were soft and kind, genuine. "You're going through a toxicology screening anyways, so if there is anything in your system we'll find it. You might as well tell us now."

Violet gulped, continuing. "Cocaine, and weed...and some other stuff but...I don't know what." Tears rolled down Violet's cheek.

"Do you know this man?" The officer produced another picture.

Violet was surprised at seeing him, she grabbed the photograph carefully. "Yes" She said, stroking his printed face. "But what does this have to do with him?"