Chapter 6: Cotton Candy Hearts

The flashing, colorful lights disoriented Violet as they slowly walked to the ticket booth.

"Two wristbands, please." Eric said, handing the brunette boy inside the booth $20. His eyelids were half closed, boredom covering his acne ridden face.

Eric, after putting his on, slipped Violet's green wristband around her delicate wrist, "Off we go." He said, linking her left arm around his right and walked past the booths, the scene in front of them coming to life.

Little kids were running around, laughing and chasing each other with balloon swords. There were families at the carnival games, the couple to their right were spraying water into a clown's mouth, a pin was being raised towards a balloon steadily before the balloon on the girl's side popped - she jumped up and down, screaming and laughing that she won.

"What would you like to do first?" Eric asked, turning away and looking at all the rides.

She set her eyes on the spinning tea cups off in the distance, and slightly to the left. She gave Eric a sidelong glance, smiling. "Let's go for a spin." She pulled him towards the giant, vomit-inducing ride. The line was barely out of the gated area and onto the grass, they stood behind a group of teenagers, ahead was a bigger couple, holding hands while both eating churros.

"Chomp chomp, Piggy." Said one of the boys, impersonating a pig and making obnoxious chomping noises.

The woman side glanced at them, then back at the churro. Violet could tell she was struggling with letting them get to her, she decided against finishing her food and walked over to the garbage, throwing it away.

"You're kidding me, right?" Violet recognized the voice as Eric's.

"What?" One of the boys said, trying to broaden his small frame and square up to Eric's much larger build.

"Look." Eric said, grabbing the boy by the arm, "I don't know who raised you, I don't know why you think things like that are alright, but they aren't. Things as small as that can destroy a person-"

His monologue was cut short by spit flying from the face of one of the boys and onto Eric's cheek. His friends chuckled, whispering under their breath. Eric's face went red, his demeanor changing completely. He grabbed the boy by the shirt and lifted him up, slamming him against the side of the fence.

"Eric-" Violet said, grabbing his arm.

"You need to learn some RESPECT." The boy looked like he was about to break down into tears, his lip was quivering. "Things like that, however small, can destroy a person. Forever. Now you go apologize" Eric leaned in, making deadly eye contact with the boy "or I will make you apologize."

He dropped the boy down as him and his friends all ran away, profanities spewing from their mouths as if they actually did something worth celebrating.

Eric took a deep breath, looking back to Violet. "Sorry." He said, clenching and unclenching his jaw. "It's just.." he took a deep breath, "they can't do that. You know? They can't get away with that."

"I know." Violet said, sensing his anger. "I know." She rubbed his shoulder.

The man walked over to them, looking at Eric in awe. "Thank you." He said, grabbing Eric's hand and shaking it. "Although your methods were more or less a little frightening. I can't tell you how much this means to me." He pushed his small-framed glasses up his nose, looking between Violet and Eric.

"It's no problem." Eric said, nodding. "I know that if I was in that position I would want someone to do the same for me."

"No." The man said, looking back at the lady. "You don't understand. My wife used to love this place. She got diagnosed with diabetes and it really took a toll on her everyday habits; this was the only thing that made her happy. But, after awhile, the comments made by others just became too much and I saw the light of my life slowly dwindle.

She stopped going to work, stopped cleaning and making food. One day she stopped going out of the house all together. This is the first time in six months that I have been able to coax her outside. This is the first time in six months that I have seen her smile. And for that, I can never repay you."

Eric shook his hand once more, before watching the man hobble off to his wife. They walked away together, hand in hand while a smile placed itself upon both of their faces.

Violet turned to look at Eric; the incredible, incredible man, who has swept her off her feet.

"Did you see that?" Eric asked, grinning. He picked Violet up and twirled her around, kissing her cheek when he set her down.

"What was that?" Violet asked

"What?" Eric looked puzzled.

"Your whole personality changed. That man, picking up the boy and slamming him against this ride, that was not you, Eric."

Eric shifted uncomfortable. "But look, Violet." He pointed to the couple that was about to go on the ferris wheel. "They're happy. I thought you liked seeing people happy."

It was Violet's turn to shift uncomfortably. 'I do..."

 Eric smiled and kissed her again. "Then it was worth it."