Chapter 13: Nothing Is As It Seems (3/4)

"Violet!" Alex said, pulling her out of her memory. "What happened?"

Sudden guilt devoured Violet, she didn't want to burden Alex with what is happening. So she remained silent.

"Did he hit you?" Alex's sudden rage made Violet jump.

"I... He.."

"What?"

Violet looked down into her hands, clenching them into fists. "Alex.." The words stopped in her throat, colliding with each other inside her windpipes. "He..." Her breathing came in short, rapid breaths while her face turned an unsightly shade of red. She could remember it all; All the skin, all the screaming. No one was there to stop it, no one was there to help her.

She was all alone.

"Violet, are you okay?" Alex asked, concerned. She turned Violet's body towards her, "Violet. Hey, what's wrong?!"

Violet shook her head, she was trembling now. Tears were cascading down her crimson-flushed cheeks, dropping into her lap.

Alex pulled Violet into a hug as her sobs shook mountains. "What happened to you...?" Alex whispered, breathing into Violet's hair.

Violet clung onto her, gripping onto her paint-stained jacket. "Oh God, Alex..." She muttered in between sobs. "I could have stopped it... It wasn't my fault.."

"What wasn't your fault? Babe." Alex lifted Violet's head, trying to meet her eyes. "You have to take a deep breath and tell me what happened."

Violet took a couple deep, shaky breaths, coughing from all the crying. Her bloodshot eyes shook Alex's core.