Chapter 9: Dog Tags - Friendly Territory

"Chinese is your favorite, so Chinese it is." Eric said, rubbing circles in the back of Violet's hand with his thumb. He turned in and parked, then went around opened her side of the car door, holding it open as he held his hand out for her.

"Oh my, so gentlemanly of you." She said, stepping down.

Eric stared at Violet, a slow smile creeping onto his face. "What?" She asked, looking down at her outfit.

"You're stunning."

She was just wearing a short blue sundress littered small red flowers, with a small white purse and white shoes.

It was casual, something she wore everyday.

It didn't matter the outfit, his response was always "stunning", "lovely","beautiful". Violet would be lying if she said that she didn't still get butterflies in her stomach whenever he said things like that.

He held the door open for her, and the couple coming in behind them.

To say the place was beautiful would be an understatement. The walls were a crimson red, with gold accents throughout the place.

"Table for two." Eric said, grabbing Violet's hand as the hostess led them through the back of the restaurant.

She sat Violet and Eric down at a booth next to an elderly couple, putting menus in front of them. "If you need anything, just ask." She smiled and walked back to the front, greeting the customers just walking in the door.

With one glance over the menu Violet was concerned. "Are you sure this is alright?" She asked, hesitant. "It's a little expensive. I mean, it's 14 dollars for a plate of orange chicken."

Eric smiled at her, grabbing her hand. "Nothing is too expensive, and you're worth every penny."

"At least let me pay for my half-"

"It's my treat, Babe." Eric squeezed Violet's hand, then went back to look over the menu. "I'm thinking some ham fried rice?"

Violet hesitated, then decided to give in. "Sure," She said, "ham fried rice sounds amazing."

About half way through the dinner, Eric stood up. "I have to go to the restroom." He squeezed Violets hand, "be right back."

Violet sat there, spooning forkfuls of rice onto her chicken and taking small bites. The hair on the back of her neck started standing up, she could feel eyes on her.

Violet quickly glanced up and looked around to see the elderly man beside her smiling and staring at her.

Violet shifted uncomfortably and looked around. She softly smiled back, pieces of food falling out of the corner of her mouth.

"Hello." She said, giving him a small wave.

"Oh," He said, brushing his hands on his gold napkin and fixing his long white shirt. "I apologize for staring." His voice a low, gruff type. "I don't mean to frighten you with it. It's just.." He looked at the empty space across from him for a moment, then looked back at Violet.