Chapter 4: Run (2/2)

"You really didn't have to do that." Joe said, her unicorn onesie stretched over her, exposing her ankles and forearm.

"I understand that." Violet said, squeezing on the couch in between Alex in her koala bear onesie while Emily was in her tabby cat onesie. "But I wanted to - I have missed this, missed you." She put her arms around Emily and Alex and pulled them into a hug.

Emily pulled out of the hug, "I wouldn't have done that." She whispered, rubbing her arm uncomfortably.

Joe popped the movie into the player, turning on the tv and running around the couch. "I'm going to go grab the popcorn!" She said excitedly, disappearing into the kitchen.

Alex grabbed the jar of peanut butter, shoveling a spoon down and scooping up a glob of it. She sighed, content with her actions. "These are the moments I live for." She said as she feasted on the spoonful of peanut butter.

Alex stared at Violet and Emily, holding the spoon out to them suggestively. "I'm good." Violet said, her eye on a jar of nutella.

"Ew." Emily said, making a pretend gagging noise. "I can't believe you're actually eating that."

"Stop being such a priss." Joe came walking back in with a large metal bowl overflowing with buttered popcorn.

"I'm just saying-"

"Sh." Violet shoved her pointer finger against Emily's lips, cutting her off. "Don't speak."

Emily pulled away, wiping her mouth with her arm. "Violet." She made dramatic sputtering noises. Violet stared at Emily, waiting.

"We ahe haffihn fuhn" Alex said, a mouthful of peanut butter clogging her voice. She swallowed it, using her tongue to get any remains off her teeth. "We're having fun." She repeated, looking at Emily. "Just let gooooo, eat junk food - be yourself."

Emily stared at the table, her eye shifting between all the candy and the popcorn we had set out for tonight. She gingerly picked up a caramel, playing around with it in her fingers.

Joe came up behind her, leaning down next to her. "Do it." She whispered, laughing as she walked back to sit next to Alex.

Emily unwrapped it, popping it into her mouth while crinkling up the wrapper. Alex, Violet, and Joe all clapped as she chewed.

"Finally!" Violet said, exasperated. "We can get this party started!"

As The Night of The Breathing Corpses (1997) was playing, Violet walked to the kitchen, promising to get 'refreshments' since no one else wanted to.

She walked around the L-curved, black and white marble counter top. Grabbing handfuls of potato chips and pretzels, she turned around to set them on the counter.

"Why did you do it?"

The sudden voice made Violet leap out of her skin —  Emily.

"I'm sorry?" Violet asked, looking through cupboards for more junk to fill their sugar highs before they crashed.

"Why. Did. You. Do. It?" Emily said slower, as if it would help Violet figure out what she was going on about.

"Do. What?" Violet repeated, matching Emily's pace word for word.

"Ditch Eric?" Emily asked, looking concerned. "Are you two going through a rough patch?" The excitement Emily was trying to hide in her voice practically choked Violet.

"No," Violet retorted, "as a matter of fact, we are better than ever."

Emily pursed her lips, "if you were 'better than ever'," she used her fingers to put quotation marks, her pink nail polish contrasting with the orange in her onesie. "Then you wouldn't have ditched him tonight." She swirled her finger in a bowl of melted marshmallow, pulling it out to lick it.

Violet clenched her jaw as Emily stared at her menacingly. "Do you know how many calories that has in it, Emily?" Violet asked, smirking. "You might want to take a run."

Emily stood there, shocked. "Well," She looked Violet up and down, "if I looked like I you, I would start running, too."

"That's not what Eric says." Violet sang out as she brushed passed Emily and back into the living room.

Emily stormed towards the door, "Where are you going?!" Joe asked, turning around to stare at her.

"Yeah!" Alex said, following Joe's position. "The movie is only half over!"

Emily turned around, checking the notification on her phone before looking up and staring at Violet. "For a run."