Chapter One-Hundred Ninety-Three

Twilight...not mine (sigh).

Chapter 193

BPOV

The month flew by and before I knew it, Edward was back in Seattle for Valentine's Day. I had been fairly bereft the first few days after I got back to Seattle, but Rose and Alice got me back in gear, at Edward's insistence. Even thousands of miles away, he was protecting me. Loving me. Apparently, I had that 'empty look' in my eyes when we spoke on Skype. Plus not showering for four days and wearing one of Edward's pilfered t-shirts under my clothes was not normal protocol for a fully functioning human being in society.

Sue. Me.

It got better once I was back in classes and at my own internship. I could focus on my attention on my classes and completing the work for my boss at the internship, an adorable gay man named Felipe. He reminded me Angie before she turned into a bitch and abandoning me. Felipe challenged me in my tasks and praised me when I did well. When I made mistakes, which was a lot, he was not cruel in his remediation. He talked me through my error and then helped me fix it.

Valentine's Day weekend was romantic and perfect. Edward spoiled me with gifts, a fancy dinner and quality time in my condo. He was subletting his place and a visiting businessman was there. The businessman was going to be out in May, so that only left my condo for his visit. We christened every flat surface in my condo before he flew back late Sunday night.

The next few weeks were tough. I planned on flying out during my spring break which was the second week in March. That taste of Edward over Valentine's Day weekend made me yearn for more. Unfortunately, Edward's position in the firm was growing busier. He was called in to work for many hours into the evening, helping out the attorneys on a tax evasion case. On average, he called me at eight local time, which meant it was after twelve for him. As a result, our conversations were short and I missed him.

I knew he was busy but I also felt somewhat abandoned by him, too.

He's a doing a job. He's completing his coursework and working at his internship. The world doesn't revolve around your pasty ass, del Cigno.

After one particularly bad day, I drove directly to Irina's office. I needed to talk to someone and I refused to bother Emmett. He was too into Rose. Alice and Jasper were renovating their new place and talking to Edward's parents about this just felt wrong. I spoke to my dad briefly on his weekly phone call to me, but twenty minutes wasn't long enough for me to get over the feeling of abandonment I was experiencing. So, I walked into the office just as Irina was leaving.

"Bella! Everything okay?" she asked.

"Not really. Do you have some time to talk?" I questioned, twisting my promise ring.

"Do you mind if we do it over dinner?" she asked. "I've been working nonstop since this morning because I was called to the hospital. I haven't eaten all day."

"Sure," I smiled and we walked out of her office together, driving to a nearby Chinese restaurant. We ordered food and I looked up at my therapist.

"What's up, Bella?" she asked, sipping her pop.

"I'm feeling kind of abandoned," I frowned. "Edward and I haven't had an opportunity to talk much since Valentine's Day. He's buried headlong in depositions, classwork and I'm worried about him. He's not getting home until after midnight. As a result, it's cutting into our time. I miss him."

"You have to understand that he's not intentionally 'abandoning you,' Bella," Irina explained, popping a crab rangoon into her mouth. "Edward loves you. I'd never seen a man more devoted than him. Not even my husband looks at me the way Edward looks at you. I'm jealous."

"You're married?" I squeaked.

"I am." She held up her left hand, wriggling her wedding set. "Been with my husband, Laurent, for over ten years. We've got a five year old daughter and a two year old son."

"I'm so sorry. I'm keeping you from your family," I rambled, grabbing my things.

"Bella, stop. Laurent and the kids are visiting his family in Toronto. I'm supposed to join them in a couple of days. His parents are celebrating their fiftieth wedding anniversary. I couldn't get off work to spend the week in Toronto so, I'm flying up on Friday. I'm living the 'single' life while Laurent, Charlotte and Peter are up in Toronto. Stay and we'll talk through what you're experiencing," Irina said, arching a brow.

I spent the entire meal explaining my feelings. Irina listened intently. After I finished my diatribe, she smiled. "Bella, you are still recovering from a traumatic ordeal. Edward was the one person who didn't make you feel like a freak. Am I safe to assume that you now trust him implicitly?"

"He's really the only person I trust," I shrugged. "To some extent, I trust you and Kate along with Emmett. Rose and Alice are nice, but they aren't up there yet on the trustworthy scale."

"What about Edward's parents?" she asked.

"Carlisle kind of scares me," I laughed anxiously. "He's a good man but there's something about him that's off-putting. And Esme, while our relationship has improved, still keeps me at arm's length." I twisted my ring again. "I don't know how to trust people, Irina. I guess that's my biggest issue."

"If I had been through your abduction, I'd be hesitant to trust, too. You've seen the worst in people. The question is how do you get past it?" Irina asked. She patted my hand, smiling warmly. "You have homework, Bella. You need to spend time with someone new. Perhaps one of your classmates or a co-worker from the publishing house."

"And do what?"

"Whatever you want or what they want," Irina replied, tossing some money onto the table to pay for our meals. "Go home, Bella. Drink some wine, work on your story and talk to your man. You've got three months before he's back permanently. It'll go by quickly. I promise you."

A/N: Bella's feeling a little lost. There'll be a surprise coming up in the next chapter or two. Leave me some!

5C%5C�#�_���