Chapter Forty-Five

Twilight...not mine (sigh).

Chapter Forty-Five

Over dinner, Edward and I got to know each other. He told me about his time in foster care. He had one family that kept him until he was old enough to go on his own. He still maintained contact with his foster mom, Esme, whom he loved very much. It was her kindness that broke through Edward's surly attitude and sadness once he was placed with them. He also told me that he hadn't been to his mother's grave since her death. He couldn't even go to the funeral due to his immediate placement into foster care.

I wanted to make that happen for him.

I told Edward about my mom's death. She had been sick for a long time. The doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. She started losing weight, bones were breaking and her hair fell out. It was like she was going through chemo or something, but she didn't have cancer. The circumstances for her death were very suspect. In fact, the police questioned my father for my mom's death but he adamantly denied any wrong-doing. He even had the house searched by the Seattle Police Department. My dad never keeps any illegal contraband in the house. We all were licensed gun holders and all that jazz.

Upon the conclusion of the search, the cops determined that they were wrong. Nothing that could have caused my mom's mystery illness was in the house. Though, they did determine that she was probably poisoned. The poison wasn't in her system but that was the most likely cause. My dad, in his grief, stopped the autopsy before they could truly determine cause of death. He didn't want his wife's body desecrated anymore. Within two days of his tantrum, my mom had her wake and was buried in the del Cigno family plot in the biggest Catholic cemetery in Seattle.

After we ate, Edward and I shared dessert. We had a spoon war over the last piece of the brownie sundae, laughing giddily. I let him win since I was honestly stuffed. Edward paid the bill and we walked out to the car, hand in hand. Secretly, I had hoped that we'd kiss before we got into the car, but it looked like it wasn't going to happen. At least, not at the restaurant.

I think.

Is he ever going to kiss me?

We drove back to my father's home and pulled into the driveway. I was getting more and more disheartened over the lack of advances of Edward's sensual, pink lips. He parked the car and turned it off. As he pulled out the keys to the car, I noticed his hands were shaking. He was very, very nervous.

"Hey," I said, breaking the silence. "It's just me."

"It's new," he said, shooting me an anxious look. "Getting the shit beat out of me. No big deal. I know what it feels like and I'm used to it. Casual touch from strangers, sets my heart into a panic but I can calm it since I know it's fleeting. Casual touch from people that I know, brings a bigger panic because I don't know how long it'll last. Christ, when my foster mom first hugged me? I thought I was going to pass out. Fuck, I think I did."

"If you don't want to do this," I frowned.

"I do, Bella. So badly, I do," he cried. Well, not cried with tears but cried out of frustration. More like yelled? I don't know. The guy was freaking out and I just wanted to make it better. "Add in the fact that I'm initiating the touch is also causing the nerves."

"Do want me to...?"

"No, Bella. I want to," he smirked. "In so many ways, I'm backwards. I'm strong, trained, and got a mouth that would make most sailors blush. That makes sense. But, I don't act like they do. I don't know how to act like a boyfriend or a lover or even a friend to women," he snorted humorlessly.

"Edward, for someone who doesn't know how to do this, you're kicking ass and taking names. You have this innate sense to know when I need something. Whether it be a hug, a simple hand hold or a kiss on the forehead, you do it when I need it the most. And for someone who is big, burly and brawny, you're very cuddly," I said as I brushed his hair from his forehead, careful to not touch his skin.

He captured my hand and pressed it to his cheek. His hand stopped shaking and he looked at me. His jade eyes were glowing from within. Moving gracefully across the bench seat, his other hand glided up my arm. I shivered, closing my eyes at the feeling. "Look at me," he commanded gently.

My eyes flew open and I stared into his burning eyes. I'd never heard that tone in his voice and fuck me, it was hot! His fingertips glided over my shoulder and along my collarbone. Before I knew it, his hand was just beneath my jaw with his thumb gently caressing my lower lip. His eyes moved from mine and focused on the movement of his thumb on my lip. Ever so lowly, he moaned at the feeling. My hand moved from his cheek and he slowly inched toward me. A few inches away, he stopped his assault on my lip with his thumb and gently cupped my face with both hands. I could feel his warm, minty fresh breath fanning over me.

Yes, I insisted on giving him some Orbit. We didn't have onion on our burgers, but still...

Our mouths were millimeters apart. His eyes were staring into mine. With one more swipe of his thumb, he let out a shaky breath. "Little One..." he murmured as his mouth tenderly touched mine.

And then I saw unicorns, puppy dogs, rainbows and even that Roaming Gnome prancing...It was like a Lisa Frank folder exploded against my mouth.

A/N: I told you they'd kiss! *Snorts* To be continued in the next chapter....