Chapter One-Hundred Eighteen

Twilight...not mine (sigh).

Chapter 118

The weeks following my injury were spent in hell. I was grumpy, cantankerous and downright rude to everybody. I was not the type of guy who sat around and did nothing.

Ever.

After I was shot, I was back up within a week at the bureau doing paperwork because seeing the inside of my condo drove me batshit crazy. The gray on my walls was driving me insane and for my sanity, I had to get the fuck out of there. Carlisle nearly gave me a formal reprimand if I didn't march my ass back home and finish recuperating. I did go back to my condo, but I completed my paperwork in the office after he had left in the evening.

After three weeks, the stitches were removed from my thigh and I was deemed healthy on that front. My ribs, however, would probably take months to heal since they were fractured by Felix and Demetri's blows. It still hurt to breathe.

One day, a few days after my stitches were taken out by Doc, Bella bounced onto the bed, where I was reading with Carino on my shoulder. Though, she had outgrown it. She was quite plump now due to Carmen's overzealous feeding of her. Bella gave Carino a nuzzle before taking my hand, kissing my knuckles. "I need to go to campus to choose my classes and talk with my advisor about my internship in the fall."

"Okay," I said, closing my book. Carino gave Bella a scowl since she knew that my girlfriend was going to steal her human pillow. "I'm assuming you want me to go with you."

"Yep. You've been holed up in this house for a little over a month. You look death warmed over," Bella chided, rubbing her tiny fingers under my eyes.

"Thanks, Bella," I deadpanned.

"Edward, you're still unbelievably gorgeous. You just look so sad and you need to get out," she said, arching a brow.

"Alright," I said. "However, it still hurts to move my arms. You get to drive."

"Your 'Stang?" she squealed.

I nodded and stiffly got up from the bed. Carino hissed quietly, swiping at my butt as I got my keys from the dresser. She had already driven the Mustang the night of the attack, but she was too freaked out to really enjoy it. Bella took them from me and pulled her jacket on over her tiny body. She threw her messenger bag over her shoulders, dragging me downstairs.

In the car, Bella moaned, running her fingers over the leather seats. "Would you like a moment alone with my car?" I quipped.

"Shut it. This is a sweet ride," she said, turning over the engine. Backing out of the garage, she expertly navigated the Mustang to her college campus. Parking the car outside of a large house, she hopped out of the car and walked to my side. Lacing each other's fingers together, we walked up the steps into the house. "This is the English Department. Cool, huh?"

"It is cool," I chuckled. In college, the criminal justice department was a floor in a multi-level building. Bella checked in with the receptionist and sat down in the plus waiting area. She pulled out her planner, college catalogue of classes and a notebook. She flipped through the catalogue, checking times for her proposed classes while we waited. An older gentleman appeared and he beckoned to Bella.

"You'll be okay while I meet with Dr. Reidy?"

"I think I can occupy my time," I snickered.

She smiled, kissing me on the lips before she followed her advisor into his office. I picked up a magazine, flipping through it idly. As I waited, my cell phone chirped. The receptionist gave me a slight scowl. I checked it and saw a text from Carlisle.

Aro's called in his brothers from Italy. Something is brewing – C

Do you have a location? – E

An abandoned warehouse – C

In Seattle? –E

No. We think he's gathering forces in Portland. Be ready to go – C

Should I share this intel with Emmett and Charlie? – E

I don't want them involved. Erase these messages – C

Got it – E

I quickly deleted our correspondence, pocketing my phone. Bella was walking out of the office, shaking hands with Dr. Reidy. "Thank you for your help in getting me an internship at Simon and Schuster. I'm so excited!"

"You deserve it, Bella. You're one of the best and brightest in the program," Dr. Reidy grinned. "I'll see you in my creative writing seminar in the fall." She beamed as he turned to go back into his office.

"Everything go okay?" I asked.

"I'm all scheduled for my senior year," she said, putting her planner and catalogue into her bag. "And I've got an internship for the entire year at Simon and Schuster. There's an office in downtown Seattle."

"That's great, Little One," I said, standing up from the couch. I hugged her, kissing her forehead. "You want to go out for something to eat to celebrate? I'm not ready to go back to your place."

"I don't blame you. We can go to Tulio's," she smiled. She pulled out the keys and we left the house, waving at the receptionist. As we were leaving, Bella ran right into a guy with sandy blonde hair and very calculating eyes. "Jeez, watch where you're going," she snapped. Then, she recoiled. "Riley?"

"Hey, sexy girl," he purred.

A/N: Raise your hand if you remember Riley...go back to the first chapter, it'll be your reminder...Picture of what Riley looks like is on my blog and tumblr. Links for those is on my profile. You can also find me on Facebook: Tufano79's Twilight Fanfiction Appreciation and on Twitter: tufano79. Leave me some lovin, please?

e