Chapter One-Hundred Ninety-Nine

Twilight...not mine (sigh).

Chapter 199

EPOV

I was cutting it close. Leslie fought and fought for me to get released time to fly back to Seattle for Bella's graduation. It was two in the afternoon the day before the ceremony. When I had told her that it was questionable if I could come, the flash of disappointment in her eyes over the computer via Skype almost killed me. I was working on my final depositions of the new whistle-blower when Leslie bounded in, beaming like a kid who just ate an entire cake and was all hopped up on sugar.

"Make your plans, but you need to be back by Monday," Leslie said, smiling like a fool. "Like at the courthouse by eight in the morning."

"Leslie, I could fucking kiss you right now," I said, flipping to an open window on my laptop, finding the earliest flight out of Boston to Seattle.

"Please don't. I'm straight and you're good-looking and all, but you don't do much for me," he quipped. I flipped him off, earning me a small chuckle. "Why are you so anxious to get back to her?"

"I'm proposing," I answered, my fingers flying over my keyboard. "I...I...need her, Leslie."

"Good for you," Leslie replied, smacking my shoulder. "I better get invited to your wedding since it was my ass that was offered up to slaughter in order for you to go."

"Done, man," I smiled, completing the transaction. "Can I go now?"

"Send me a pic of the rock," he snorted. I nodded, darting out of the office and to my 'closet.' Driving back to my rental, I packed a bag with necessities and broke every speeding law to get to the airport. My flight was taking off in an hour. It was going to be a long ordeal since the earliest and most direct flight had three connections. I was arriving at SeaTac by one in the morning. Parking my car, I raced through security and sprinted to the gate, making it just as they were announcing the final boarding call. Just before they told us to turn off our cell phones, I sent a text to my parents, explaining that I was able to make it and that I needed to be picked up from the airport. I didn't get a chance to read their responses as I powered down my phone, crashing against the window. I was asleep just as we were taking off.

Three hellish flights later, I was dragging my weary body through the airport. Carlisle was picking me up. I was going to spend the night at my childhood home before getting up early and picking up the engagement ring for my Bella. "You look like hell, son," Carlisle chortled.

"Yeah, that's because I was on the three worst flights ever," I responded. "The first one wasn't so bad. I slept through most of it, but the second one? I was next to someone who hadn't bathed in several days and it was disgusting. When I got off the plane, the first thing I did was buy a small container of hand sanitizer and scoured my arms, hands, face and anywhere else that was even remotely close to this person. Then, this past flight? There were four screaming children within the cabin. The entire time in the air, they were screeching at the tops of their lungs. I smell. I've got a headache and honestly, quite jet lagged."

"Damn," Carlisle said, smacking my arm. "Well, let's get you home and showered, hmmm?"

"Can we pick up some fast food?" I asked.

"Your mom has meatloaf for you at home," Carlisle replied. "It's a new recipe that she got from Bella. It's got an Italian twist and I must say, it's fucking delicious."

"You kiss my mother with that mouth?" I quipped.

"Fuck yeah," he bellowed, dragging me to his Yukon Denali. We clambered into the car and listened to some quiet music as he sped home. In the kitchen, I devoured three slices of my mom's meatloaf with mashed potatoes and green beans. Carlisle prattled on about work and how much he missed me, personally and at work. Carlisle even said that I could have my old job back. Ah, no. I was ready to start my life and be a lawyer, boyfriend, fiancé, husband, and gulp, possibly a father.