Chapter Eighty-One

Twilight...not mine (sigh).

Chapter Eighty-One

BPOV

Edward pulled me off the edge of the pool and covered me with his body. His eyes were darting everywhere. "Stay here," he hissed. He hopped out of the pool and grabbed a towel. I got out of the pool and was wrapped in the warm towel. "Go in your room, lock the door and do not let anyone in until I knock five times. You hear me?"

"Yeah," I said as I darted inside. Edward picked up the Desert Eagle from underneath his own towel, sneaking around the edge of the house. I sprinted through the house, reaching my room in no time. I quickly threw on some clothes and picked up my Ruger from the nightstand. I barricaded myself behind the bed, shaking like a leaf. My mind was reeling. Had Jane found us? Is she going to finish the job? What about Edward? I should be helping him...

Five gentle knocks resounded on my door. "Bella, it's me," he said.

"Are you alone?" I asked.

"Yeah, it was a damn cat," he grumbled. I opened the door and saw a wet Edward holding the cutest gray kitten with a white face. She was mewling quietly, nuzzling Edward's bare chest. "She thinks I'm her mother or something."

"She didn't bolt?" I asked, taking the kitten from his hands.

"The sound scared her more than anything and she was huddled near the gate of the driveway," Edward said. "I checked the street, but didn't see anyone. Just her."

"You certain she's a girl?" I questioned, lifting her tiny body. I didn't see any indication that she was boy, but she could have been fixed already.

"I don't know," he said as he walked into the bathroom. The water turned on and I heard a loud sneeze.

"Bless you," I said absentmindedly, petting the sweet kitty.

"I'm so allergic to cats," he said as he tossed back an allergy pill. I looked up at him and his eyes were already red.

"We can drop her off to the shelter tomorrow," I said quietly, not really wanting to give her up. "She's probably..."

"No, we can take her to the vet," Edward grumbled. "If she belongs to someone, she may have a microchip. If not, you've just got yourself a cat, Little One." I squealed, hugging Edward's neck. The cat hissed before hopping across to Edward's shoulder. She scowled at me, giving me a look like 'bitch, why you screaming?' "Oh, you think you're cute up on my shoulder, but when I can't breathe because of your furry ass, you'll see who's sad."

"How allergic are you?"

"It's manageable with medication," he said as he plucked the cat off his shoulder. "A roommate had a cat for a while and after about a week, I was okay." He cuddled the kitten, frowning deeply. "So skinny. Let's get you some food, cat."

"We can't just call her cat," I deadpanned as I followed him in the kitchen.

"Well, you come up something while I go in search of something for that gray little stowaway," he snorted, sticking his head into pantry. The cat was still on his shoulder, like a gray little parrot.

"What about Shadow?" I asked.

"At least you didn't suggest Fluffy or Cutesy-Pie," he laughed, putting a tin of tuna onto the counter. "I was thinking Mittens. Her front paws are white and they look like mittens."

"Edward, that's so blah," I said, taking the cat from his shoulder. He was still wearing his swim trunks and was gloriously shirtless. It wasn't really helping the situation I had going on between my legs. "It's like calling you Tattoo because you have tattoos."

"You try, Shadow-girl," he said as he opened the tuna, putting it onto a plate.

"She's so cute," I pouted, tickling under her chin.

"What's the Italian word for cute?"

"Carino," I answered. "You like that? Carino?" The kitten mewled quietly, nuzzling my neck.

"You should name her princess," Edward smiled crookedly, forking through the tuna. The cat looked back at Edward, hopping out of my arms and onto the counter. She looked up at Edward and he gently pushed the plate toward her. "Go on, princess."

"Not princess," I said, wrinkling my nose. "I think Carino is the name for her. She's so adorable and...and...cute!" Carino mewled before diving into the tuna that Edward prepared for her. He chuckled and filled up a bowl with water, placing it next to the plate. "You're such a good kitty daddy."

"Oh, no. Carino is your responsibility," he said, waving his hand. "I'm not a father to a four-legged ball of fur that makes me sneeze. I'd rather have squirming, screaming, shitting babies than a cat. She's all yours, Little One." Carino looked up at him almost dejectedly. Her tiny meows were heart-breaking. "Crap, I've just adopted a cat, didn't I?"

"We're kitty parents, Mr. Masen. Treat our kitty daughter good, angelo," I giggled. Carino walked over to Edward, rubbing her face on his stomach. Her purr was loud. "She loves you, Edward."

He made a face. "If I go into anaphylactic shock, I blame you, cat," he deadpanned. She blinked and went back to her food, devouring the rest of the plate of tuna.

"Carino," I chided. "Our furbaby's name is Carino."

Edward arched a brow and shook his head.

A/N: Pictures of Carino are on my blog. She's the cutest thing ever. Link for the blog is on my profile. You can also find me on Facebook: Tufano79's Twilight Fanfiction Appreciation or on twitter: tufano79. Leave me some!