Chapter Seven

New Story...I'm attempting a drabble. Rather, my version of drabble...a 1000 words or less per chapter. (Dear God, I'm afraid.) But excited, too. It'll force me to be more forward with my plotlines and yeah. Anyhow, none of this mine. I'm not, nor ever will be, Stephenie Meyer. I just like to play with her characters.

Chapter Seven

To say I was nervous while my dad was at the club was an understatement. He didn't get home until well after four in the morning. Based on his behavior, he was drunk and slightly high. Not to mention, rumpled with lipstick on his lips. My dad got some before me?! Dude!

"Where have you been, young man?" I asked, crossing my arms. "It's a quarter after four, Daddy!"

"Jesus!" he barked, leaning against the counter in the kitchen. "You gave me a fucking heart attack, baby girl."

"That's because I was having a heart attack while you were meeting with the elusive 'Edward,'" I said, rolling my eyes. "Spill."

"I'm not one of your girlfriends, Isabella. I don't have to spill," Charlie said as he got a bottle of water from the fridge.

"Daddy!" I whined. God, I sounded like such a pansy. Grow up, Bella. "Is this guy hired, or what?"

"Not yet," Charlie said as he hopped up on the counter. "He's on 'probation' right now. He's going to help Emmett and his crew with the latest shipment of weaponry. James and his thugs asked for some pretty hefty guns. Emmett, Edward and the crew are going to handle the delivery. If he's discreet and meets with Emmett's approval, he'll permanently be added to his team."

"Will I ever meet him?" I asked.

"It's possible but unlikely. Edward is a bit of a punk but knows his way around a gun. We went to the shooting range under the club. He's a dead eye," Charlie chuckled. "If he wasn't going to work with Emmett, I'd want him on my private security detail."

"Well, Jared is getting pretty old," I snickered. "You can upgrade the model."

Charlie rolled his eyes and finished his water. "I'm exhausted. Had a little too much fun for an old guy." He walked over to me, kissing my cheek. "Love you, baby girl. Don't wake me before four in the afternoon."

"Good night, Daddy."

A week later, Edward had passed his 'test' and was no longer on probation. He was hired permanently to work with Emmett's crew. I still was leery about this guy. Something about how he was folded into the organization was cagey. I decided to go talk to Emmett and ask him his opinion of this Edward guy.

I hopped into my car, a black Audi R8 convertible, along with Seth, and drove to meet up with Emmett for lunch. I needed some insight about Edward. Is he as trustworthy as my father said? Or is he a mole?

I parked the car in the lot across the street from our favorite Italian restaurant, La Rustica. Emmett was waiting for me, chatting with Dominic, the owner. "Emmett," I smiled. He grinned in response, folding me into a warm embrace, kissing my cheeks. "You are getting too thin, cousin. Is your Momma feeding you enough?"

"Of course she is," he snickered. "You're wasting away, too, bambina. Let's eat some good nosh from Dominic and the crew. What's the special, man?"

"Bruschetta al Salmonaccio, Ostriche al Forno and Chocolate crème brulée," Dominic said, rubbing his chubby belly.

"Can we get two orders of that, Dominic?" Emmett asked as he led me to a table near the window. "And whatever Seth wants, too."

"Of course," Dominic said as he went back into the kitchen.

Seth sat down at the bar while Emmett and I got comfortable at our table. Emmett ordered a bottle of Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio. One of the waiters opened our wine, pouring it into the wine glasses before leaving us to our conversation.

"So, bambina, what's the deal with this lunch meeting?" Emmett asked, waggling his fingers. "You wanting to pull another surprise party for Uncle Charlie?"

"God, no. I learned my lesson from his fiftieth birthday," I deadpanned. "I wanted to see how you were doing with work? Everything good?"

"It's great!" Emmett said, giving me a jovial grin. "Business is booming and things couldn't be any better, on the business end. Personal life? Kind of sucks but what can you do?"

"Daddy told me about the new guy," I said, nervously toying with my wine glass. I looked up at Emmett, probing his hazel eyes. "Do you trust him? Trust the new guy?"

A/N: Pictures on my blog, link in my profile. Find me on Facebook: Tufano79's Twilight Fanfiction Appreciation or on Twitter: tufano79. Leave me some!