Chapter One-Hundred Eighty-One

Twilight...not mine (sigh).

Chapter 181

EPOV

I helped Bella into the chair and sat down next to her. I removed my sling, rotating my shoulder. I hated that thing, but I needed my hand to eat. "How is your arm doing?" she asked, pointing to my black cast.

"It's sore all of the time. I've had worse, but the just the constant nagging ache is obnoxious," I said. "I'd rather deal with a tattoo." Her eyes deadened slightly. "Shit, I'm sorry, Bella."

"No, it's okay," she replied, plastering on a fake smile.

"Bella," I frowned. "God damn it, I ruin this within the first..."

"Edward, be quiet," she said, reaching for my good hand. "As soon as I get the go ahead, I'm getting my tattoo redone. It's going to bigger, better and representing more than just my heritage. Do you have a name of a good tattoo artist?"

"I do," I smirked. "When you're ready, I'll take you to see her."

"A woman?" she chuckled.

"Yep. Remember, I freak out with guys," I deadpanned. Bella blushed and nodded. "Do you want something to drink?"

"Probably not," she said. "With my anti-depressants and pain medication, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to drink alcohol."

"We're a pair," I chuckled darkly. I leaned forward, feeling slightly upset at our situation.

"What is it?" she asked. I shook my head, my heart fluttering. "Edward, you told me this in the hospital. We're not broken. We're bruised. Every day, we're getting better. Stronger. I want this. I want us. So badly." She got up and sat on my lap, brushing my hair from my face. I looked at her and there was a glimpse of the strong woman I met back in May. "Kiss me, Edward."

It wasn't a question. She was demanding that I kiss her. We'd kissed that morning when Charlie was taken back to Sheridan, but after that, everything went to hell. With my good hand, I cupped her tiny face. Tenderly, I ran my thumb along her ruby red lips. "Not broken," she whispered.

"Bruised," I murmured back before covering her mouth with mine. My body ignited and for the first time since that night in my dingy shithole cover apartment I felt whole, complete and not lost. Bella's arms wrapped around my neck as she angled her head to deepen our kiss. Tentatively, I opened my mouth, tracing her warm lips with my tongue. She shuddered. I pulled back, afraid that I was causing her discomfort.

"No," she moaned, thrusting her hands into my hair. Our kiss quickly deepened and I was just lost in her. It wasn't until we heard the quiet cough of the server that we broke apart, blushing like two teenagers caught by their parents in the basement. Bella moved back to her seat, hiding behind her hair.

"Would you like to hear the specials?" asked the server. I nodded woodenly, trying to calm my body down. I was sporting a painful erection along with vampire bats in my stomach from that kiss. We ordered the specials along with some appetizers and fancy soda. Once the server left, Bella and I looked at each other, laughing hysterically.

"God, I felt like I was in high school, getting caught in the backseat of my dad's Firebird," she snorted.

"We were making out like teenagers in one of the most prestigious restaurants in Seattle," I laughed. She turned to me, her eyes sparkling and she looked so beautiful. "A Firebird? That's a sweet ride."

"My dad's car from when he was in high school. I was this close to losing my virginity when my dad pulled him off me," Bella giggled. "I was only a freshman and he was a senior. He wasn't too thrilled with me being with an older guy."

"And why does he like me? I'm five years older than you," I said, arching a brow.

"You have a good heart, loving soul, trustworthy eyes," she replied. "Paul, the guy I was ready to sleep with in my dad's humper-mobile, turned out to be actually gay and was only trying to prove to himself that he was straight by sleeping with me. It was shortly after that my dad told me of my 'arranged marriage' and that I needed to save myself for that. We both know how well that turned out."

The appetizers arrived shortly after that and we dug into the crab cakes and ahi tuna. It was delicious and Bella was laughing freely. So was I. Despite those first few moments of awkwardness, things fell into place and we were back to being each other. The meal was delectable. Bella had the chicken while I decided on getting the steak. Unfortunately, I couldn't cut it because of my encased arm. Bella took a great deal of pride in carving my food, teasing me at every turn.

"Laugh it up, chuckles," I grumbled good-naturedly. "It's all Jasper's fault for breaking my damn arm."

"Well, at least I can finally take care of you," she said, holding up a morsel of meat. "Open wide, Agent Cullen."

"It's Special Agent Cullen," I said, swiping the fork from her.

"Is there a difference?" she asked.

"Nope. I'm just giving you shit," I smirked. She smacked my arm with her napkin. "I just want to be special."

"Edward, you're very special," she smiled, caressing my cheek. She held up one finger and picked up her purse. "I have something for you. I know that are probably second guessing everything about our relationship, but I know I can't be without you. It took me a long time and a lot of mistakes to realize this. Throughout this whole ordeal, you've been my rock and my best friend. I want our relationship back and tonight, I felt like it could happen. I wasn't scared when you kissed me. I wanted more, actually." Her eyes fell to my crotch and she flushed red, nearly the same color as her gorgeous dress. I found her newfound shyness but boldness to be endearing. "We've got a long way to go before that's happening, but...I'm rambling. Anyhow, this is a small token of my appreciation, Edward and my promise to you that I don't want to go anywhere." She handed me a black leather box.

"Can you help me open it?" I asked. She bit her lip, nodding slowly. Cracking open the lid, she handed me the box. On top of cream satin was a black leather bracelet with eternity symbols along the top, etched in sterling silver.

"This means forever, Edward," she said, tracing the symbols on the top of the bracelet. She took it out, fastening it to my left wrist, just above my watch. "I want you forever."

Using my right hand, I ran my finger along the top of the bracelet, smiling softly. Then, I cupped her face, staring into her chocolate depths. "I want you forever, too." I reached into my pocket and flipped open the box with my mother's ring. "I have my own promise, Isabella." I slid the box toward her.

"Edward?" she breathed.

"It's not an engagement ring," I said, smiling crookedly. She sighed, her body slumping. "We've been together how long? We've barely started our relationship. Besides, I want to get you something bigger when I do pop the question." I took out the ring, holding it in front of Bella. "This is my promise to you that I want you forever, as well, Little One. This ring was my mother's."

"Esme's?" she asked.

"No. My mother. My birth mother. Elizabeth Masen," I answered, picking up her right hand and sliding it over her knuckle. "It belonged to her family. My father used it to propose to her, but it was a Platt family heirloom. Every woman in the family had this ring at some point, ending with my mother. When she died, it was given to me. I kept it with my memories of my childhood at Carlisle and Esme's. I got this the night you were out with your father. I had it cleaned, sized and polished so I could give it to you for your birthday." She sobbed, hiding her face from me. "No tears. No more crying. Only happiness from now on. We're moving on from the past and looking forward, right?" She couldn't talk because she was still crying but she did nod. "I love you, Bella. I'll be by your side for as long as you need me."

"Forever," she whispered, laying her hand on my bracelet. "I told you that I want you forever. I love you, too."

"Forever isn't long enough," I smiled before caressing my lips with hers. She sighed and melted against me. "It isn't long enough, but it will have to do, Little One."

A/N: Can we get a collective 'awwww?' Smiles and happiness from now on, kids. Okay, not really. We've got the trial coming up. Raise your hand if you want Aro to fry!

Pictures of their promises are on my blog and tumblr. Check 'em out!