Chapter Twelve

New Story...I'm attempting a drabble. Rather, my version of drabble...a 1000 words or less per chapter. (Dear God, I'm afraid.) But excited, too. It'll force me to be more forward with my plotlines and yeah. Anyhow, none of this mine. I'm not, nor ever will be, Stephenie Meyer. I just like to play with her characters.

Chapter Twelve

"Edward, I know you're under but you've been staying in that nasty ass apartment for weeks," Alice, our weapon's specialist said. I had just met with Carlisle, expressing my frustration about not making contact with Charlie del Cigno. Our contact within the organization has assured us that a position will open up relatively quickly but I was getting antsy. I was sitting, staring at the rats in my apartment.

I've even named them: Bobo, Wrigley and Comiskey.

I really need a life.

"I happen to like my apartment," I said, frowning sullenly.

"Edward, it's in the shittiest part of town and you've got rats," Alice chided.

"Rats?" Jasper, Alice's boyfriend and our intelligence coordinator, asked, his cornflower blue eyes wide as saucers. "You have rats in there?"

"Yep," I replied, sipping my coffee. "I named them, too. I've always wanted pets."

"I need to shower," Jasper said as he hopped up from the chair he was sitting in the conference room. "Rats?" He screamed and ran out of the room.

"Alice, your boyfriend is a pussy," I snickered. "If only he didn't have such a mechanical, technological brain."

"Plus, he's great with his tongue," Alice purred.

"Don't need to know that," I sang as I poured myself another cup of coffee.

"Seriously, Edward. Get out. All of us are going to Verdant tonight. I know that you can't be seen with us but you can 'show up' and have some fun," Alice said, putting her hand on my arm. I jumped, pulling it out from underneath her gentle touch. "Sorry, Edward. I forgot you don't like to be touched."

"It's okay," I said as I walked to the window. I tried to shake off the jittery feeling that spread through my body because of Alice's innocent touch on my arm.

Touch, of any kind, with the exception of pain, scares me. I'm covered in tattoos because it allows me to be touched in a way that is acceptable. When I was taken away in the police car after I had killed my father, I screamed for nearly an hour when the officer, a kindly woman, tried to hug me. I'd only ever experienced pain. It was what I was used to. Even thirteen years later, I could only tolerate passing hugs from my adoptive mother, Esme. Even those were a struggle.

"Cullen, you really need to see a shrink about that touching problem," Rose, our vehicle and computer specialist, said as she clacked on her laptop. "How are you going to get laid?"

"Shut up, Rose," I spat. "My sex life is none of your concern."

The truth of the matter is that I don't get 'laid.' I've been with one woman and let's just say that it didn't end well. I ended up having a flashback as I had entered her body and well, I couldn't finish because I locked myself in a bathroom. I couldn't handle of the feelings I was experiencing. Thankfully, it was a drunken frat party and I used my shame to beat the crap out of some douchebags who were trying to hurt another girl. I broke my right hand and my face was covered with bruises. I was okay with that. But any other form of physical contact...caused me to go into flashbacks of a time where I lived in fear.

"Edward, I agree with Rose," Alice said, sliding between me and the window. "I'm surprised that Carlisle hasn't forced you to see someone or that you passed the psych exam."

"Those don't mean anything when you have my mind or my shooting skills," I said blandly. Sighing, I pinched my nose. "After this op, I'll get help. I'm this close to getting in. I've spoken with this one guy, Emmett. He seems like he can get me in. I'm almost certain of it."

"I hope so, Edward. The way you live, it's not healthy. Everybody needs touch," Alice said sadly, her arms itching to hug me. Instead she wrapped her arms around her body, hugging her belly. "I wish I could that to you, Edward. Out of everyone that I know. You need it the most."

"Thanks, Ali," I said, ruffling her hair. She rolled her eyes and danced to her seat. With a resigned sigh, I turned to my coworkers and adoptive family. "I think I will join you at Verdant."

"Excellent," Alice beamed.

"I think you're an idiot for doing it but I'm happy you're joining us," Rose said. "Don't get caught."

"It's better that you're hanging out with us and not your freaky rats," Jasper shuddered. "Rats?! EWWWWWWWWWW!"

"And you think I have problems," I deadpanned.

A/N: Yes, our Mafia/FBIward has some issues. Yes, I know that he wouldn't have passed his psych evaluation but it works for the story. Pictures of these characters are on my blog. Link on my profile. Also find me on Facebook: Tufano79's Twilight Fanfiction Appreciation or on Twitter: tufano79. Leave me some.

LQD