Chapter One-Hundred Seventy-One

Twilight...not mine (sigh).

Chapter 171

BPOV

After our manis and pedis, I felt very comfortable with Rose and Alice. They were older than me. Rose was thirty while Alice was a few years younger at twenty-seven. They told me about their jobs at the bureau and why they chose to become agents with the FBI. Listening to their passion for the FBI made me understand Edward a little bit better, but based on his reaction, his passion was waning.

Over lunch, we chattered about inconsequential things. We were pretty much getting to know each other. It wasn't until Alice asked about my plans after Charlie left that I clammed up.

"Are you planning on staying with Edward after your dad has to go back to Sheridan?" Alice asked.

"I don't know," I frowned. "I don't think I can go back home. From what I've heard, it's not very safe. I love Edward but do I want to live with him?"

"You've lived with him before," Rose said as she sipped her wine.

"That was before..." I gestured to my broken body. "Things were different."

"Bella, it will get better," Rose said. "Just prior to graduating from college, I was raped. It took me about a year to feel comfortable in my own skin but it did improve."

"I wasn't raped," I scowled. "Well, not penetrated, but James and Riley...they...um, m-m-m..."

"We've read the report, Bella," Alice said quietly.

"She needs to say it, Ali," Rose chided. "What did they do to you?"

I twisted the napkin, feeling anxious and sick to my stomach. "They masturbated on me," I whispered, tears falling from my eyes. I rubbed my chest, wanting to shower.

"Good girl," Rose said as she moved to sit next to me, hugging me to her side. "Now, do you want to stay with Edward?"

"I do but I don't," I shrugged. "I don't feel comfortable staying at the house by myself and Edward and I are starting our relationship over again. We haven't kissed since that day. I'm too nervous."

"But he's the one who calms you down when you have a panic attack, right?" Alice asked.

"The only one. Emmett makes things worse and my dad helps to an extent," I shrugged. "I don't want to rely on him. I was very independent prior to this and using Edward as a crutch isn't healthy. I'm all sorts of fucked up and...perhaps I shouldn't even pursue this."

"I get what you're saying," Rose said. "Don't push him away. If he makes you feel safe and secure, keep him close. Edward would walk to the ends of the earth for you."

"I don't want him to think that I'm just using him. I'm not!" I said, my eyes widening. "I want to be me again. You know?"

"Bella, you went through hell and back. That makes sense. Edward, like I said before, is one of the few awesome guys out there. Even before you, we saw his potential. He'll understand," Alice smiled. "You can buy a cute condo, make it your own and rebuild your relationship with Edward. I have a feeling that you two are going to be one of those great couples. Romeo and Juliet, Jack and Rose, Lady and the Tramp, Mickey and Minnie, Sandy and Danny..."

"You're rambling, midget!" Rose laughed. "Ali is a bit of a romantic, if you haven't figured out. She's been your champion ever since she came to your house after the bombing."

"I noticed a radical difference in Edward. I knew you'd be good for him," Alice smirked. I chuckled. "You must be tired, Bella. Do you want to head back?"

"Yeah," I shrugged. "I was told to ice and elevate. My leg is kind of throbbing." Rose nodded and waved down our server for the bill. We all tossed in some cash before heading out to the SUV. Once we got back to the condo, I sat down on the couch with my boot off and an icepack around my leg. Emmett handed me my computer and I started looking for condos. Alice and Rose helped me look while Dad was on the phone with a realtor to sell the house.

An hour later, Edward had come back and it looked like someone had just kicked his puppy. His eyes were sad and dejected, his posture was slumped and he looked pitiful. "Ro, I think it's time to go," Alice said.

"I think you're right," Rose snickered. "Emmett, you want to drive me home?"

"Fuck yeah!" Emmett bellowed and he dragged Rose away from the couch. Alice laughed, following them while Charlie kissed my forehead before making himself scarce while I could talk to Edward.

Edward schooled his face and he looked at me. "How does it feel to be free of all of the plaster?" he asked.

"Good," I said, wriggling my bright pink toes. Carino hopped up and plopped herself on Edward's lap. "Are you okay? You look sad."

He scrubbed his face and looked at me. "I knew that you'd probably want to go back to the house or be out on your own but I didn't realize that it was going to be so soon," he said. My eyes widened. "Emmett told me."

"Edward, it won't happen overnight. The house needs to sell and I need to be a bit more mobile," I said. I reached for his hand, twining my fingers with his. He sighed. "I need to get my independence back. I can't do that if I'm staying with and relying on you to fix my problems."

"I get it," he said, kissing my wrist. "Doesn't mean I have to like it, but I get it." He looked up at me, cupping my face. "I'm just a phone call away, too."

"Adult sleepovers do have their benefits," I giggled, moving to snuggle into his arms.

A/N: You know that this was going to happen. Bella has always been independent and to have her freedom taken away, she needs to regain her fight. She can't do that with Edward. She would grow to resent him and their relationship would fizzle. She needs to become the spitfire again. You know? Leave me some!!