Chapter One-Hundred Thirty-Four

Twilight...not mine (sigh).

Chapter 134

Three hours later, Charlie's dining room was set up like a mobile command center. Alice, Rose and Jasper were manning computers while Carlisle and I were checking the satellites for any sort of clue as to where Bella was. My head was stitched up by Doc and he said that I had a moderate concussion. He wanted me to sleep but I couldn't. Not with my girl out there and missing.

So, I fought through the pain, focusing my attention on the known properties of Aro Volturi, searching through any bit of information.

We also had the help of the local police department, though they weren't as helpful. Our technology was better but at least they had the man power to search vehicles and put out an all-points bulletin for Bella being missing. Normally, the police would say that we'd have to wait forty-eight hours but a phone call to the commissioner encouraged them to assist us in our cause.

With each passing hour, Bella's safe return was becoming less likely. We had to find her.

Around nine at night, I was rubbing my eyes and trying desperately to stay awake. The information on the computer in front of me wasn't making any sense. "Edward, you have to stop," Alice muttered, sitting down next to me. "You're not a machine."

"I have to find her, Alice," I said, my voice rough and hoarse.

"Working yourself to the point of exhaustion isn't the wisest decisions, Edward," she chided. "I'm assuming you want to be on the extraction team, right?"

"You assume correct, Ali," I replied, shooting her a glance.

"If you're dead on your feet, you'll make a stupid mistake. Like getting yourself killed," Alice snarled, smacking my shoulder. "You're too good of an agent to let that happen."

"If I was so good, why was I so careless with my badge? If I was so good, why did Bella get captured on my watch?" I hissed, closing the laptop. "It's my fault, Alice. My feelings clouded my judgment and now, she's missing and possibly getting hurt. I'm pissed at myself for allowing my feelings to guide my actions. I'm pissed that she's gone. I'm pissed that she hates me..."

"She was upset, Edward," Rose replied, sitting down next to me. "She probably still has feelings for you. She's a special girl to deal with your special brand of bullshit."

"Thanks, Rose," I replied flatly.

"Look, Cullen, I know you feel responsible, but it's not your fault. Regardless of whatever happened between the two of you, this was inevitable. Whoever captured her was determined to get her and the opportunity arose when she left your apartment in a tizzy," Rose said, tentatively putting her hand on my arm. I flinched but didn't pull my arm back like I normally would. Rose gently rubbed my forearm and gave me a smile. "Let whatever you're feeling drive you to make it better."

"I'm trying. But the words are spinning and my eyes," I scowled at the computer.

"It's because you had your brain scrambled, Edward," Alice giggled. "You need rest. The doctor said that is what's best for you. And when was the last time you ate?"

"Jeez, you sound like my mother," I teased.

"That's because Esme sent me a text, making me promise to get you to eat some food and sleep. It will refresh you, give you an opportunity to recharge your batteries," Alice said. She bit her lip. Her gray eyes were filling with tears. "I want to hug you, Edward. I've never seen you so sad."

"I think we all want to hug Edward right now," Rose giggled.

"Not really," Jasper snorted from his spot from his computer. "You need a shower, dude! You smell!"

"Ignore him," Alice said airily. "I do. Can I hug you, Edward?"

"Around the shoulders. I'm recovering from a couple of broken ribs," I whispered, looking at her. Alice threw her arms around my neck and held me tight. I was shocked at the mere power of her embrace. "Damn, Alice. You're strong."

"Okay, I need in on the love fest," Rose laughed, wrapping her arms around Alice. I was being strangled by two women and as weird as it sounded, I liked it. My friends were making me feel better. "Though, Jasper was right. You do stink, Edward. I can smell the blood on your hair."

We laughed and broke apart. "I get it. I smell and I'm dead on my feet," I chuckled.

"Use your old room, Edward. All of your clothes are still there," Charlie said from his spot next to Carlisle.

"We'll wake you if something comes up," Carlisle said distractedly, typing furiously on his computer. "Take care of yourself. Even for a few hours."

"Alright," I said, pushing away from the table.

"Can we give you more hugs?" Alice asked, smiling widely.

"Not right now. I'm bit overwhelmed," I replied. "See you all in a bit."

A/N: Edward, despite his stress over Bella's abduction and breakup, is handling this all fairly well. He's even letting people touch him! But, something is dwelling on the horizon. Leave me some! More reviews equal faster updates! Perhaps even MULTIPLE updates in one night. (I need to play catch up in order for that to happen and that's what I'm doing). ;-)

e, do yBސ