Chapter 95

Thirty-nine weeks.  I was thirty-nine weeks pregnant and Dylan had done an amazing job of dropping and I know I looked like I had swallowed a basketball.

I was uncomfortable as hell and couldn't sleep anymore.  Declan had purchased body pillows for me but they didn't do any good, I had spent the last eight weeks in a more or less sleepless state.

I didn't dare tell him, but I was having small contractions and had called Dr. Dhoot and her hypothesis was Dylan was coming at anytime.  He was fully developed and it was safe.  All that needed to happen was for my water to break.

I checked my bag by the door for the hundredth time and being satisfied all was in there, I put it right back in its place, checking the phone numbers one more time helped ease my angst as well.

As the day wore on, my comfort level was a negative ten, I was miserable and short of breath and for the umpteenth time, I called Dr. Dhoot.

"Amethyst, what's your progress?" She asked. I shook my head, even though she couldn't see it, and said "I don't know. Something feels off." I was panting now, feeling short of breath.

"Amethyst, I'm calling 911 and the hospital. You call Declan and Nate. The hospital staff will be waiting on you and I'll be right behind you" she said.

My next call, I dreaded, because I knew Declan would panic. He always did. Anything that had to do with me or Dylan, he panicked.

"Hey baby" his rich, baritone voice called out. "Declan, I need you to get to the hospital. Dr. Dhoot called 911 and she's on her way. I think Dylan is coming today."

I could hear the ambulance as Declan insisted on staying on the line with me while Nate drove him.

It hurt so much I could barely breath. I just wanted my baby to be okay. A quick delivery and then to be back home. It wasn't to be.

The ride to the hospital seemed quick, with Dhoot behind and then Declan, Nate, Jan, Nigella, Constance and Murray bringing up the rear.

Declan had texted Devon while on the phone with me, so he was waiting when we arrived in the ER entrance, all professional and every bit the doctor.

I got a moments recourse when I saw Devon and Constance look at each other, smiling, a silent look passing between them.  I was so happy for them finding each other.

I was surrounded by medical personnel, they were hooking me up to machines, IVs, drawing blood, you name it, while my doctor started her physical exam.

"Well your dilated but your water didn't break, so we're going to do that right now" she said taking a long, silver, metal instrument from a sealed package.

"You'll feel some pressure" she said and I gasped from the intrusion, then the whooshing sound of my water going everywhere. Instantly I felt relief.

Once that was done, I was set up in a room with monitors and the works; and what ensued next was almost eleven hours of grueling labor.

I was amidst drifting off when the monitors started going crazy and the room was filled with hospital staff and my frantic, disheveled husband was by my bedside.

Dr. Dhoot said that Dylan was in distress, that perhaps the cord was crimped but at any rate it was going to require a C-section. Now I was petrified.

I was in the OR before I could blink an eye, Declan gowned and gloved, standing next to me with tears in his eyes.

"You got this baby.  It's gonna be great.  Our son will be here before you know it."  I loved him, his positive vibes, his love flowing from him and into me.

I watched the nurse insert a drug into my IV and within seconds I was drifting off.  "Declan" I said barely audible before I didn't know anything anymore.

****

I could hear crying, a baby crying.  I smiled weakly, knowing it was Dylan.  I struggled to get my bearings, to get my eyes open.

"Declan" I called out softly. "Babe" he said smiling, walking towards me, he had a little blue bundle in his arms.

I raised the bed, waiting for my husband to hand me our son. It was love at first sight!

I looked under his little hat, coal black hair. He had Declan's nose and my lips. He stretched his little mouth opened and yawned, whimpered and then his little lip quivered. He was hungry.

"Has he eaten yet?" I asked. "He had a small bottle just until you woke up and could have your breast milk" Declan said.

I nodded and pulled my gown to the side and placed my baby to my breast and he took right to it and started suckling.

It was so beautiful to watch and I looked up to see Declan's eyes full of tears as he watched me bond with our son.

He walked over and leaned down, kissed my cheek and patted Dylan's head.

"I have everything I have ever wanted, right here. You and Dylan complete me. Once upon a time, all I ever wanted was to just maybe get married and be successful, but success means nothing if you don't have family. I have my family thanks you."

We were getting ready to let the entire family come in, when Dr. Dhoot showed up, looking grim. I had dread in my belly.

"Amethyst, Declan. I need to be straightforward in what I'm about to tell you. Amethyst, when you first came to me, I told you that if you got pregnant, you're female organs might not survive.

The procedure and the pregnancy were rough on your organs.  We removed them when we did the C-section.  I'm so sorry but look at what you guys got out of this.

Do you have any questions for me?  I can recommend you to a counselor or you can maybe speak with Dr. Webster.  At any rate, please keep in touch and I would love pictures of this little guy."

That was it.  After her bombshell, she was gone.  I just looked up at Declan, tears streaming down my face as I looked down at our son.

Declan's arm came around me, kissing me comfortingly.  "Baby, it'll be fine.  When you're ready, when we're ready, we'll adopt, okay?"

I nodded as my husband went out to the waiting room to get our family and while he was gone, I burped Dylan, changed his diaper and put one of his outfits on.

The family that was gathered made me realize that I had never been alone.  It was all a matter of timing and what an amazing group of people we were surrounded by.

Epilogue is next....