Chapter 50

(Continuation of chapter 49)

I had to get to work today and so did Declan.  We spent all day in bed yesterday, mostly just talking about our wedding, our life and when we wanted to get married.

We decided four weeks from today would be perfect and Declan suggested asking his mother for help with the venue and to be honest with as tired and overwhelmed as I felt, that didn't sound half bad.

When I got to my office Nigella was waiting and so was Constance, both with very serious and very concerned looks on their faces.

"Can you both come in my office please?" I asked as I gratefully accepted a mug full of freshly brewed coffee from my faithful assistant.

"Amethyst what's been going on?" Nigella asked, her brows knit together in angst.  I nodded towards the two and when they sat down, I began.

"First off, the good news.  Declan and I are engaged" I said, holding up my left hand to show them his grandmother's ring.

"Oh Am!" Both women gasped, smiling brightly at me but then Constance said "Now, what's the bad news?"

"Night before last, Declan and Dr. Webster met, at our house, for dinner.  Everything was going great until Webster said that Declan had something to tell me.

Seems like Declan reached out to him first, because he was afraid the information he'd discovered would push me over the edge, which it did, but that's another story.

It would seem that when Declan and I first met, he had Murray investigate what happened to me because he didn't want to accidentally say or do something that might remind me of Ethan.

In the course of what Murray found, he discovered that Ethan Hamilton is my half brother.  Lacy never told me I had a brother, not even the day she came and took me from my foster family.

Needless to say, I had a total collapse, like bat sh*t freak out.  It wasn't pretty but Declan stayed up with me the whole time, stayed with me through one of the worst night terrors I've ever had.

We were so exhausted from it, that's why we didn't come in yesterday.  He took care of me the whole time and got me over the worst of it.

And finally more good news.  We have set a date for four weeks from today to get married and I would really love for both of you to help me put this together and stand up with me.  What do you say?"  And now it was my turn to smile.

As I expected, both of them were extremely happy for me and after gushing over my ring, but worried sick regarding the new info about Hamilton but Nigella said she needed to get back to the office but suggested we have a girl's night and start working on the wedding.

About an hour after my confab with Nig and Constance, Con called to say I had a guest.  I didn't have anyone on my appointment calendar except for Reece.

"Send him in" I told her as I stood up to receive my visitor.  I never expected in a million years to see Devon St. James walk through my door!

"Devon?"  I said getting up and hugging my soon-to-be brother-in-law.  He looked so much like Declan, only a few inches shorter and his hair was lighter, but they were brothers for sure, no question.

"I'm sorry for showing up unannounced, but I had something I wanted to talk to you about if you have a few minutes."  He smiled as I indicated for him to sit down.

"No, it's great to see you" I told him.  "I'm sure Declan has told you guys about our engagement?"

He nodded.  "The family couldn't be happier actually.  You are so perfect for my brother and that's what prompted my visit."

I was curious now.  What did this mean?  He said the family was happy about our upcoming union so I didn't think it was that.

"Well my interest is piqued so please, go on" I said.  He took a deep, nervous breath and then continued.

"Did Declan mention my trip to a medical symposium to California a few weeks ago?"  I nodded and he went on.

"Well I didn't go for my job, I went for you.  For you and my brother, truth be told.  The doctor that held the symposium is a fertility specialist and she helps women who have been injured to the point of not knowing whether they can have children.

She has an office here in Boston and I truly hope I didn't overstep any boundaries but I told her about you and Amethyst, she thinks she can help you.  She has pioneered some non-invasive techniques and she wants to meet you."

I sat completely stunned.  I'd never had anyone care to this length or magnitude before.

"Devon, I don't know what to say.  I think it would be stupid not to meet your doctor because if there's the slightest chance to give Declan a son, I want it!  But he's not to know of this, I don't want him to get his hopes up.  When do we meet?"  I asked, full of questions.

He said next week, if I was available, she was having a Medical Professionals luncheon at the Four Seasons and agreed to meet and talk with me then and if, after that, we wanted to proceed, I could make an appointment with her.

After Devon left, I had my meeting with Reece, got three more chapters written and emailed them off to him, but my mind was only half there and my heart was only half committed.

Standing up, I walked to my office window and looked out, my hands over my belly as I thought about our baby growing inside me and I'd never been so happy about anything in my life.

Constance had reminded me, as did my electronic calendar that the charity for Abused Women was in two weeks as well, so I got online and started looking for a dress to that event and my wedding dress.

Declan, soon to be my husband, was always in the forefront of my mind.  He occupied every waking and sleeping moment and I loved him so much that I was willing to do anything to give him a child.

And at that moment, as if my thoughts summoned him, my cell phone rang, the ring tone telling me it was the love of my life.

"Hello baby" I said.  His sexy chuckle sent shivers down my body, making me ache for him like no other.

"Hello to you, sweet girl" was his enduring response.  "I wanted to check on you and see how you were feeling."  God this man was so good for me!

"I'm fine, sweetie.  I got three more chapters written and submitted to Reece as well as a meeting with him, so it's been productive I'd say.  How are you?  Still tired?"  I still felt a pinch of guilt over both our lack of sleep but he rolled with it.

"You know me" he laughed.  "The less sleep the better.  But I can't wait to get home, have a quiet dinner with the love of my life and crawl into bed with her."

Holy hell!  "Say that again" I pleaded softly.  "Which part baby?" He asked.

"Right after you said have a quiet dinner part" I expounded.

"Oh you mean where I called you the love of my life?"  He was toying with me now but I didn't mind.

"Yes."  The air changed dramatically as he said "You are the love of my life Am."