Chapter 38

I'd had a couple of Declan's old companions give me the stink eye but you know what? It didn't bother me in the least because he loved me! We told each other and I will never forget the look on his face, especially when he wanted to hear it again.

Declan came back with flutes of champagne, handing it to me, he leaned over and told me how much he loved me and I smiled so much my face hurt.

"Murray and Nigella are on their way" he told me. "Awesome! I didn't know they were coming!" "Well I thought since you are best friends and we're together now, you might enjoy her being here."

"You're the absolute best" I said smiling. "Why thank you, Ms. Langston. I do try." He smiled back and at that point I knew I would do anything to keep that smile on his face.

"I'm going to speak with my mom about something, so I'll be right back" he said. "Okay babe. Hurry back though. I want to dance some more." He kissed my hand and nodded.

Sipping my bubbly, I looked around for a bit, but then was interrupted by a feminine voice.

"So, you must tell me your secret for bagging our elusive Mr. St. James." She had an accent, and it sounded French.

I just smiled before answering, not really knowing what to say. "I guess it was just fate really. Right place, right time."

She smiled at my answer. "I'm Jasmine" she said holding out her hand. I reciprocated and replied "Amethyst."

Her eyes widened. "As in Amethyst Langston?" I nodded. "Cherie, I love your book! Please tell me you are working on another?"

"Actually I am. I'm hoping to be done with it in six months or so. Thank you for reading my book. I'm sure they'll do a publicity sweep and when it comes time for the book signing, I would love for you to come. I'll make sure to comp you a book."

She got excited about that, as we continued to talk about clothes, food, etc. I heard Nigella's laugh and asked Jasmine to come with me.

"Am! Darling!" Nig called out. "Hey bestie" I said, hugging and kissing both cheeks. "Nig, meet Jasmine. Jasmine, this is Nigella Ambrose, my best friend and CFO at DSJ."

The women shook hands, as I kissed Murray and while he went off to look for Declan, Nig, Jasmine and I continued to talk, girl talk, when my beautiful man came back over.

His eyebrows were knitted together when he saw Jasmine. She smirked at him and said "Hey Declan." Her voice all of a sudden sultry and I started mentally kicking myself because there was something definitely going on between them.

"Jasmine, I wish I could say that it was good to see you but we both know that would be a lie."

I'm sure I would hear something about this later but for now I would remove him from the equation.

"Hey baby, would you please come dance with me?" I asked. He gave the woman one last evil glare and then he took my hand and followed me to the dance floor.

We started slow dancing while I waited for the best time ask him what that was all about. I could tell he was still tense because his jaw was clinched.

He was there but he wasn't, it was like he was looking through me. I couldn't stand this anymore so I put my hand on his cheek and gently brought his eyes to mine.