Chapter 90

"Amethyst?  Come on sweetheart.  Open your eyes" Declan heard Murray calling out to his wife.

Terror all over his face as he watched helplessly while paramedics worked on his wife and the coroner was giving time of death over Ethan Hamilton's body.

"The good news is, the shot was a through and through and it was in the fleshy part of her bicep.  The baby's heart beat is a little faster than what we'd like to hear, but other than that, mother and baby are fine.  We need to get them to the hospital" he said speaking of he and his wife.

Declan watched as they loaded his bruised and unconscious wife into the ambulance while Murray made his way over to where he had been placed on a gurney.

"I want to know how in the hell my wife managed to give your guys the slip, Murray!" He was angry and had every right to be.

Murray placed a hand on his friend's shoulder.  "Look, I'll have an answer for you by the time you get to the hospital and get checked in.  Just focus on you, your wife and son for now.  Leave the rest to me."

Declan winced when jostled as they loaded him into the ambulance.  The one holding his wife was already gone and he was impatient to get going as well.

Soon they were on their way, flashbacks about what had just happened kept appearing before Declan's eyes.

He had regained consciousness right before the shots rang out and his mind replayed, in slow motion, his wife pushing his chair over.  The horror of watching her fall as the bullet tore through her arm was more than he could stomach.

"I'm gonna be sick" he mumbled to the paramedic, who thrust a bag under his mouth just in time.  Laying back exhausted, Declan didn't remember closing his eyes.

"Mr. St. James?  Can you hear me?"  He heard a soft voice at the same time as a bright light flashed before his eyes.

Blinking rapidly, he muttered "I can hear you.  My wife.  What's going on with my wife?" He asked frantically.

The doctor put a soft hand on his forearm, calming him immediately.  "Your wife and son are doing fine.  More than fine, considering.  We have set up a bed in her room and now that you are awake, I'll get you to her, okay?"

"What happened to her?" He asked, not really wanting to know more than needing to know.

"She sustained a busted lip, which required a few stitches.  Her right wrist is sprained and her left check sustained a hairline fracture.  Multiple bumps and bruises as well, a bullet wound to her bicep, but the miracle is her belly managed to avoid all contacts that were made to your wife's body.

She's sleeping right now.  Dr. Dhoot has been in multiple times, just to maintain her vitals and there are several of your friends and family in the private waiting area."

She signaled two orderlies to come and help get his bed moved and he was thankful.  He needed to lay hands on his wife.

"You sustained a couple of severely bruised ribs, multiple cut marks on your upper torso, one of which required stitches, bruising to your face and a nasty bump on the head.  That's why you threw up in the ambulance.  Concussion."  She was telling him this while on the way to his room.

When he was finally settled in, he took in the sight of his wife.  Her beautiful hair fanned out around her pillow, her soft breath sounds matching the rise and fall of her chest let him know she was resting peacefully.

Her right wrist was in a brace, laying in a small blanket that was rolled up, her lip puffy and swollen, a little dried blood still around the wound.  And a horrible bruise on her cheek and that's what made him tear up.

The pain she must have felt, physically and mentally at having to deal with him again, but what drew him out was the monitor on her belly.  The strong, steady and healthy heartbeat of their son, that's what pushed everything else out of his mind for the time being.

A soft knock on the door brought his gaze to the entrance of his room, where he saw his parents, Devon, Constance, Nigella, Reese and Murray step inside.

He hated to see the look that graced his mom's beautiful face but when he smiled at her, it all went away and that's what he needed to see right now.

"Everyone, please stay, but Murray, I need to know what you found out.  Please" Declan said to his friend.

"Well, she used her regular phone to call for Uber.  She gave them an address of the house three down from yours. 

We contacted the driver who confirmed that he picked her up and took her to the warehouse. 

We found a knit cap, black, that she had cut eyes, nose and mouth holes into and along with her black clothing, no one could have seen her.

The detectives said they found a full mag inside her boot, plus one bullet missing from the mag inside her .22.  She made a kill shot and Ethan Hamilton was dead before he hit the ground.

She left the burner cell on and along with the pendant I gave her, and we tracked her to your location.

That's a hell of a woman you got there man.  It's a hell of a thing" he said shaking his head.

Declan took in everything that his best friend had just told him and all he could do was shake his head in unbelief.

He was about to ask Murray about Nate, when the man himself walked in, a bandage wrapped around his head and a black eye.

"Nate, my God" Declan gasped.  He watched his friend and driver approach his bedside, laying his hand on his and patted it.

"I'm fine my boy.  My concern was you and Ms. Amethyst."  He looked over at her bed.  "How is she, by the way?"  He asked, concern lacing his voice.

Declan took the opportunity to fill everyone in on her injuries and not missing the looks on everyone's faces.

"Bloody hell" Nigella huffed.  "What was she thinking?"  Shaking her head, she walked over to her best friend's bedside.

Constance sniffed as Devon put his arm around her, telling her it was okay.  "She's strong.  Stronger than any woman I've ever seen and she put her family first."  He finished.

"Has anyone called Dr. Webster or DA Jason Bartholomew yet?  Both of them need to know what's happened" Declan asked.

Murray stepped up and said the lead FBI agent was going to contact Jason and Constance said that she called Webster.

Dax, Declan's dad, walked over to his daughter in law's bed, leaned down and gave her a kiss.  "Thank you, you beautiful girl" he said softly.

Declan's mom said they were going to get something to eat and they would bring him back a meal.  After receiving kisses and hugs from his family and friends, he was finally left alone with his wife.

Wincing, he swung his legs around and walked over to her bed, pulled up a chair and sat down.  He placed a kiss on the top of her hand and then he turned it over and placed one on her palm.

"I love you baby, so much but you are in so much trouble.  I want nothing more than to spank your pert little ass until it turns red.  God, I don't know what I would have done if something had happened to you or Dylan."

Laying his head on top of hers, he sighed and closed his eyes, just for a moment.