Chapter 7

It has been three weeks since I ran into Declan at Mickey's and since then he has sent the most beautiful arrangement of flowers, sweet emails and he even had lunch sent over for us.

I'm finding the harder I tried to push him away, the closer I actually wanted him to be.

I decided today was the day that I was willing to meet him for coffee and hear him out.

My hand hovered above the phone as I fought inwardly on whether I should call him or not and I was not going to second guess myself any longer, so I picked up the phone and called the number from his email.

"Declan St. James' office. This is Jan. How may I assist you?" So professional and kind sounding.

"Hi Jan. May I speak with Mr. St. James please?" I asked.

"Certainly. May I ask who's calling please?" Very thorough.

"Oh yes. I'm sorry. This is Amethyst Langston." There was silence and then the weirdest thing.

"O-oh Ms. Langston! Would you mind while I place you on a brief hold?" Why did she stutter and sound all a-flutter?

"Of course. No problem. Thank you" I say and then beautiful classical music filled my ears as I waited.

Declan's assistant came right back, not leaving me on hold long at all.

"Ms. Langston, thank you for holding. I'm putting you through now" she said sweetly.

"Thank you Jan" I replied. "Oh my pleasure" she gushed as I chuckled, shaking my head.

"Amethyst? God what a wonderful surprise!" Declan called out and I had to admit that was exactly the reaction I wanted.

"I hope I'm not disturbing your day" I told him. I heard him laugh, not chuckle but laugh.

"Absolutely not! Your timing is impeccable" he answered honestly. "Is everything okay?" He asked.

"It is" I assured him. "I wanted to see if you would like to meet for coffee, that is, if you can get away" I asked.

"How about Polcari's in thirty minutes? Is that doable?" He asked. My heart soared at how quickly he was willing to drop everything, without having to think about it.

"That's off Salem, right?" I asked. "Yep, the very one" he said lightly.

"I'll see you in thirty then" I knew he could hear the smile in my voice. "In thirty, Amethyst." Geez was it wrong to love how my name sounded coming from his lips?

As soon as I hung up with Declan, I excitedly called Nig.

"Guess what?" I breathed. "Do tell me darling?" She replied. "I'm meeting Declan in thirty minutes at Polcari's!"

"Oh Am!" She said. "That's truly wonderful. I hope it's everything you want it to be."

We talked for a few more minutes before I hung up and the. I jumped up and ran to the small bathroom in my office so I could check my appearance.

 I jumped up and ran to the small bathroom in my office so I could check my appearance