Chapter 26

Declan kept stealing little glances over at the woman who sat next to him.

She was downright beautiful.  Inside and out.  Her perfume was subtle, yet he would catch whiffs of it throughout the day in his car and on his clothes.

He'd only experienced this feeling one other time and he ended up marrying her.

It wasn't all about the sex, although he was enjoying himself immensely.  They connected on a deeper level.  She truly was interested in his work, how he was feeling, etc.

She was kind to everyone, it didn't matter her station and while Elise had a heart of gold, she could sometimes treat people like they were beneath her and he blamed that on her upbringing.  She was the only child of oil billionaires and she sometimes would get caught up in materialistic things.

He couldn't talk her out of their ginormous wedding, and he would jokingly tell people that it rivaled Charles and Diana's wedding!  But he loved her and they made it work.

He never told anyone because he didn't want to tarnish the pedestal he had her on, but they weren't as perfect as he tried to make out.

He almost felt like sometimes she was getting bored with him and she often, toward the end, spoke of going back home to Georgia, but then she got sick.

"You're being awfully quiet" Amethyst's voice broke through the still night.  He smiled, took her hand and pulled it up for a kiss.

"Just thinking is all.  This dinner is very important and Mr. Brandt is one of those men who fought for everything he had, built his company from the ground up but never took time for a family and now he's tired and wants to spend what time he has left doing things he enjoys.

He's concerned that I'll dismantle the company and he's worried about his employees.  But what he doesn't know is, I got my legal department  to draw up a contract stating that his company will remain intact and his employees will be treated as they are now,.  I hope that sells him on this deal."

"Declan, you just go in there and be yourself.  If Brandt is half as smart and business savvy as you say he is, he'll know that you're serious about his company, like he is.  He'll sign it tonight before dinner is over" Amethyst told him.

He could hear the pride in her voice and that gave him the shot in the arm he needed to close this deal tonight like she said.

"Baby with you by my side, what could possibly go wrong?  You do wonders for my ego, not to mention having a drop dead gorgeous woman on my arm only solidifies my position."  Declan smiled at her again before putting his eyes back on the road.

"I'm really proud of you, Dec" she said.  He was stunned.  Where had that come from?  It made him want to stand a little taller, like he had the world by the balls.

"Why?"  He really wanted her honest answer.  She laughed that tinkling laugh that he'd gotten so used to.

"Because you silly man.  You are smart, you have great business sense, you're tenacious, you don't take no for an answer and you always treat people the way you want to be treated.  Don't think I haven't noticed." She winked and tapped the side of her nose.

Declan threw his head and laughed.  "Well with you by my side to keep my ego pumped and your sheer charm, I will be walking away with a signed contract."

"Uh quick question for you" Amethyst said.  "How in the world did you get your hands on a 2017 Lexus LFA?  I mean good grief, Dec, this is one sexy car and seeing you drive it?  Lord help me!"

He couldn't help but grin at what she had said, loving every minute of how she expressed what he did to her and how he made her feel.  He would never get tired of it.