Chapter 23

I sat at Declan's table, clothed in his shirt as he cut us both a generous slice of cherry tart and a large scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.  I was in seventh heaven!

"If you ever have to resort to blackmail, anything cherry will do the trick" I said, joking with Declan.

He smirked and chuckled.  "So I hit a home run with the dessert, in other words?" He asked.  I nodded as he sat next to me and we prepared to indulge.

"Beautiful ladies first" he flirted, making me blush.  Using an antique silver fork I dug into the mouthwatering cherry tart and brought it to my mouth, letting it disappear between my lips.

"Oh heavenly cherries" I moaned, chewing and swallowing my first bite.  Declan let out a sexy chuckle and said "That good, huh?"  I nodded enthusiastically, taking another bite.

"Are you a dominant?" I asked, not really sure why I let it come out that way, but now that it had, I looked forward to his answer.

"Well not in the Fifty Shades way" he said honestly.  "I have some predilections towards some aspects of it but I in no way desire to debase a woman, call her names, make her crawl to me or beat her because I need to inflict pain due to me being twisted.

I think some parts of it are erotic and sexy but for lack of a better word I do appreciate and love the whole vanilla aspect of sex as well.

Our bodies are amazing in their capacity to feel certain ways and respond in kind.  Also to watch your partner get as much out of it as you do is important as well."

Fascinating, I thought.  "Can I ask you a question?" I asked, putting my fork down and looking into his eyes.

"Of course you can" he responded.  "Would Elise not accept this way from you?  I mean was she scared of it?"  I wasn't sure if he would think me nosy and intrusive or if he would be okay with this line of questioning.

"Elise was born and raised in the south.  She lived there until she was sixteen and then they moved here to Boston.

All of the southern ways and traditions had already been engrained in her and she was pretty dug in on her beliefs.  We didn't sleep with each other until our honeymoon.

She was a virgin, I wasn't and she had the grace to overlook that because she loved me and I overlooked her inability to experiment in bed.

Was I ever tempted to look for someone on the side to take care of those needs?  No.  I was a one woman man and never entertained the idea of cheating on my wife.  I had too much respect for her."

Who was this man that I'd become involved with at the speed of light?  This only made me more curious and determined to know him on a deeper, more intimate level.

"What about you?" He asked.  I knew it was coming and I wouldn't dare deny him since he'd been so open with me about his life with Elise.

"I was a virgin before Ethan" I said sadly.  "And I beat myself up over the fact that I no longer had that gift to give to the man I would marry.

Dr. Webster helped me see that it was not my fault, that it had been stolen from me and at the time I was powerless to do anything about it.