Chapter 77

(Jon Secada Heaven Is You--What Declan really feels towards Amethyst)

Declan watched in quiet admiration as his wife worked the room, seeing to the needs of their guests, taking time to talk to each of them, her beautiful laughter filling his ears, when just hours earlier she'd faced a horror from her past.

At one point her gaze caught his and she gave him the most heart stopping smile, making him fall so much more deeply in love with her, he didn't think it was possible.

"You really are madly in love with her, aren't you?"  Declan never heard Nigella come up beside him because he was too busy gawking at his gorgeous wife.

He chuckled.  "Is it that obvious?" He asked.  "Glaringly" she joked.  "But I think it's wonderful and whether the two of you are aware, you have set the bar way high for the rest of us."

Was that true?  Even with all the horrible obstacles they had already faced, did others want a relationship like they had?

At any rate he was quite happy with their relationship and in the short time they'd been together and married, he had more happiness than the five years he was married to Elise.

A huge smile encompassed his mouth when he saw his wife making her way to him with a fresh drink in her hand.

"Hey handsome" she murmured, kissing him lightly, then handing him the new drink.

"Hello gorgeous" he replied back.  "You look so pretty in that dress" he commented.  "Why thank you sir.  I thought you might like it" she answered.

He placed his hand on her belly and said "Anything that shows my son off is welcomed."  She smiled as she placed her hand over his.

Murray walked over, with Nigella on his arm and they started talking.  "We would love to have you guys over for dinner one night, soon" Am told Murray and Nig.

"We'd love that" Nigella said.  "The house is beautiful, brother" Murray told Declan while the women talked.

"Thanks man and glad you guys could make it" Declan told his friend.

Murray placed his hand on Declan's arm, drawing him aside so he could have a little more private conversation with him.

"How's she holding up?  Nigella filled me in on what happened and that's a serious f*ck up" Murray said.

Declan agreed.  Taking a sip of his drink, he began to tell Murray about the hearing.

"I honestly don't know how she survived.  I saw the pictures man.  F*ck" Declan let out a strangled breath, but continued.

"He beat her face so bad, her eyes were swollen shut.  She had bruises all over her arms, chest, stomach and legs.

Not normal bruises either.  I'm talking ones that looked like a pipe was used.  It was awful.

The insides of her thighs were bruised and bloodied and the pictures they took at the hospital, after cleaning her up, you could see the hand prints where he forced her legs open.

And what I can't believe is how she didn't die from infection with that cut on her side.  I've seen the scar but the pictures showed what it looked like before she got medical attention.