Chapter 81

(Continuation of chapter 80)

The only noise inside the car was Magnus breathing.  He was laying next to me with his head in my lap while I stroked his head.

I stared at his head and marveled that it was as wide as my hand and then I realized he was just a big, giant baby, at least to me anyway.  God help you if you tried to hurt me though.

"Magnus?" I said softly.  He lifted his head and looked at me, cocking his head to the right.  "Are you a good boy?"  He started panting, his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth and his tail started wagging.

I couldn't help but giggle at the monstrous dog that would be my guard dog for a while.

"You like him, don't you?" Declan asked me softly.  I turned, my gaze locked with him, and nodded.

"He's really awesome.  I think he's going to be a God send" I replied.  I scratched behind his ears and he grunted in satisfaction as I continued stroking his head.

"Am?  I'm really worried about you" Declan announced, taking both my hands in his.

I put my hand up to his face, caressing his cheek.  "Truthfully I'm worried about me too."  I couldn't believe how honest I was with him, but if I, we that is are going to get through this, I couldn't hold back on my husband.

"Come here" he said pulling me closer, when Magnus raised up and quietly growled. 

"It's okay boy.  He's the good guy" I told my four legged friend.  He cocked his head and then laid back down.

"You know, when everything is over and Magnus goes back to Albright, we can get us a Bull Mastiff puppy" Declan told me.  I liked the idea of that and said as much.

Declan asked me what I wanted for supper and for some reason I had a craving for White Castle hamburgers.  He laughed, then leaned forward and gave Nate his instructions.

I felt sorry for Magnus, the smell of the food making him whine a bit.  "Hey boy.  Your daddy gave me your food.  I'll make sure you eat first when we get home" I told my beast.

Placated by my words, he laid his head down again and rested.  We would be home shortly and I told Aubrey, officer Albright, that I would call him when we settled in.

I was so happy to see the turret of the security building as we entered our gated community.  Surely we would be safe here, right?

Nate and Declan brought all of Magnus' items in the house.  He had a huge, fluffy bed, his food and water dishes, some toys and a hundred pound bag of food and his leash of course.

I dug through my purse and found Aubrey's business card and entered the digits into my phone and once I'd done that, I took a picture of Magnus completely at rest, on his back, and sent a text to Aubrey, stating that we were home.

I fixed his food and water and while I waited on him to come, Declan and I sat down to our burgers.  It was quiet.  Too quiet.

"I'm sorry you had to witness that breakdown earlier" I said, sipping my diet Vanilla Coke.

Declan wiped his mouth, scooted back his chair and came and stood in front of me; going down to his knees, he rested his body between my legs, his head resting on my thigh.

I stared at his gorgeous head of hair, my fingers itching to touch it, but instead I used my finger to trace the outside of his ear.

"Will you take a shower with me?" I asked softly.  Declan didn't say anything but nodded yes.  I knew he was worried, his body language told me so.

He'd seen me have a night terror, panic attack and the whole incident at my office today and he knew I was barely holding it together.

As we walked to our room, his fingers were laced with mine as his thumb brushed my knuckles and I didn't know if it was comforting him, me or both of us.

I leaned against the wall by the shower, watching him turn it on and when his focus came back on me, I kicked off my flats, pulled off my slacks and then unbuttoned my blouse and threw it to the floor.

That left me standing in my bra and panties, waiting for Declan to make the next move.

He took all of his clothes off in the same order I did and then he walked up to me, folded me into his safe and loving arms, whispering that he was never going to let me go.

I hooked my fingers into the sides of his underwear and pulled them down, looking at my man, beautifully naked and just stood there drinking him in.

Fighting off those nagging feelings of never seeing my baby born or never getting to see Declan again were burdening me, weighing me down like a millstone around my neck.

He stood so close to me I could feel his breath on my face as he traced the dip under my chin, my collarbone and then to the strap of my bra, pulling it down slowly as he went.

"Please touch me" I whispered.  Lowering his mouth to my bare skin made me gasp from the white hot heat I felt from his lips.

"I love looking at you" he purred as his lips moved to my other shoulder.  He was enjoying teasing me and I loved for him to do it too.  It made me feel alive and wanted.

When he got me naked, he took my hand and led us into the shower; I leaned against the wall and watched him wet himself down under the spray of the warm water.

His hair looked like glistening obsidian oil, the ends curling a little from its length. 

The water droplets gathered on his eyelashes just long enough for him to blink, the light capturing them like glittering diamond drops then they dropped to his cheek, rolling down his ridiculous body.

I couldn't tear my gaze away from him, I was trying to memorize every wonderful, amazing part of him, so I could tuck it away for the day I would need it to see me through.

"What are you thinking about?" He asked, pulling me from my thoughts.  "You" I simply replied.

He turned me quickly, my back against his front.  I could feel his hands sliding down my arms, to my fingertips, then bringing my hands and arms up and around his neck.

"Don't let go" he breathed while picking my leg up and placing it on the marble bench.

"I'm going to make love to you.  Just let go, baby.  Let me carry you tonight."

And I did.