Chapter 82

Declan had a restless sleep, even after he and his wife sexed each other up in the shower several times, he would nod off and then wake up, feeling for her side of the bed just to make sure she was still there.

Magnus would raise his head every time as well, almost like he and Declan were on the same page where she was concerned. His heart and mind had been changed immediately towards the dog and he hoped their new puppy would be just as great.

But this time when he did wake up, her side of the bed was empty and Magnus was no where to be found; he put two and two together, surmising that where one was, the other was right there.

Slipping on his cotton pj bottoms, he made his way slowly into the rest of the house, stopping in the kitchen because he noticed a fresh pot of coffee.

Making a cup, he looked out into the backyard when he heard his wife speaking to their temporary house guest.

Even with the great beast, she was a gentle soul and he was just as gentle with her, if not more; he knew she would be a wonderful mother, no doubt about that.

Some women, in his opinion, we're just cut out to be mothers and some, well they were just the incubators. It was sad really because to him there was no greater station in life than to be a mother or father.

He knew his wife's wish was to have at least three children, maybe four, but neither one of them was sure how much of her body would be left intact after Dylan.

He had comforted her with the knowledge that no matter what, they would have a quiver full, even if they had to adopt. There were too many children in need of good homes, it would be the right thing to do.

She looked carefree and that was what he wanted to see on her face always. Her long hair looking wild, being gently lifted by the slight breeze.

He loved the way she pursed her lips when she was talking baby to Magnus and much to the animal's credit , he took it like a man.

He watched her sit on the grass, her legs crossed Indian style, while Magnus laid in front of her with his head resting at her crossed ankles.

Imagining them as a family, playing outside in the spring and summer, raking leaves and jumping in the piles come Fall and making snowmen in the winter, this is what he craved.

He had it with his father and mother and Devon, of course, and it had always been his wish to past that down to his family one day; new traditions to enjoy with his family.

She leaned back on her palms, her face raised to the sky, eyes closed and a sweet smile on her face; she was the epitome of beauty.

Grabbing his phone, he snapped the serene filled moment, forever preserving it in time, for him to look at any time he wanted, reminding himself of the treasure he had in her.

Making up his mind, he started looking online for Bull Mastiff rescue web sites, seeing if there were any in Boston.

He didn't want to make her wait for Magnus to go back to Aubrey, he wanted her to have the puppy now and perhaps Magnus could mentor the young animal as to his ways.

Finding a place, he called immediately, just to find out if they had any puppies ready for adoption and what their procedures and policies were.

Satisfied in what he'd found out, he let the woman, Maggie, know that he and his wife would be coming to possibly bring home a new fur baby.

When the woman found out who she was speaking with, she told him, very professionally, that she would make sure they were in an undisturbed area of the facility and away from the public eye.