Chapter 80

Ever have one of those days when the moment your feet hit the floor, you know you're in for a doozy? Well, today was definitely one of those days.

As soon as I get out of bed, I stub my toe, hard. It's bleeding, but not bad, so I hobble to the bathroom, cursing like a sailor, when Declan comes in, asking if I'm okay.

He looks down, as I grimace from the hydrogen peroxide I've poured over my injured toe. It's fizzing like a science fair project, with the white foam running down the drain.

He kneels down, with a small hand towel and a band aid, my knight here to rescue me from myself, and I let him because I enjoy his attention and I love the fact that he cares about the smallest things.

Fast forward. Had to change my blouse because I spilt coffee on the ivory one. Yes kids, ivory, and don't you know how attractive a dark, brown stain looks in the middle of an ivory dress shirt, silk at that?

I get to the office and Constance is in a mood, Mother Nature at her best, so she's cranky one minute and crying the next. It seems Devon's schedule is harder on her than it is him.

Reece is wigging out because he thinks I'm behind, but truth is, my book is done. I'm giving it to him this morning.

Twiggy is frowning, over the phone, which I'm sure will be damaging her latest Botox injection, until I tell her I have it ready and I'm sending it to Reece.

And as I'm emailing my manuscript to Reece, the sh*tstorm of the century rains down on me. Con comes in telling me that there is a very anxious DA on the phone, and all of a sudden, I feel like vomiting.

"Jason, what's the matter?" I ask, completely bypassing common courtesies.

"Amethyst, we just got word this morning that Ethan escaped early this morning. He killed one of his doctors, a patient and a guard.

I've contacted the FBI field office there in Boston, your DA and the local police. You need to take protection, don't go anywhere alone.

Amethyst? Are you there? Say something" he asked patiently.

"Oh my God Jason" I whispered, my hand covering my mouth. Then he goes on with more, totally making my day.

"They found pictures, articles, newspaper clippings and your book in his room. It looked like a shrine. You, Declan, your family and close friends need to take precautions" he warned.

My head was swimming as I felt faint. "Uh Jason, I need to go. Thanks and please keep me in the loop" I said, trying with great difficulty to wrap my mind around his warnings.

I called Nate and asked him to pick me up. Home. That's where I felt safe and where I wanted to be right now. He said he was ten minutes away.

I called the head of our building's security, gave them as much detail as I could, along with Jason's information and then I called Constance in.

One look and she knew something was up. She sat down, leaning forward. "What is it?" She asked.

"Ethan escaped this morning" my breathy voice shook as I fought for air. I was about to go into full blown panic attack mode and Constance knew it. She'd seen it before.