Gradution

Maya adjusted the cap on her head as she stares at herself in the mirror. Her gown flowed down her body and to her ankles. The black fabric was silky and not a wrinkle showed.

Her mother had insisted she wear high heels so she was at least two inches taller. Her hair was curled and her makeup was done perfectly.

This was it. She was graduating high school. There was no turning back.
As she stares at her reflection, she thinks back to a time when she was just a kid.

She met her best friend, Riley Matthews. Her family took her in, and she met friends along the way, she discovered her true sexuality, Chai being Maya first girlfriend, getting shot, the love triangle, riding the bull, and purposing to Riley, and many more. Maya and her friends have gone through a lot and now their finally graduating and would soon be going off to college in Pennbrook with Riley.

Everyone else had even decided to go along to the same college.

"Maya?" Katy wraps her knuckles across the door. "Sweetie, you ready?"
"Yeah . . . I am." Maya says nervousy but pushes them aside.

They arrive to the school and walk inside. Maya quickly finds Riley who was standing with her family and smiling, happy as can be. Her eyes brighten when she sees Riley, Maya runs behind and jumps on Riley back making her stumble a little.

Hey!" Maya grins after getting off Riley back. "Hey!" Riley grins back.

"Are you ready?" Riley asks Maya and Maya nods they then start heading into the auditorium and take their seats.

Cory steps up to the podium as the students take their seats behind him, Maya, Riley, Farkle, Zay, Chai, Smackle. Lucas in the front row.

"Good evening, everyone." Cory speaks into the microphone. "Principle Gomez couldn't be here, sadly. His daughter is having a baby and so . . . Kind of important." Cory laughs nervously, but everyone just looks around awkwardly.

"Alright . . . Well, these students have worked their hardest, and we hope to see how they'll do in the real world. So, to start us off I'd like to introduce our valedictorian, Farkle Minkus." Cory says and the audience claps as Farkle stands proudly and walks up to the microphone.

"Well . . . I'd like to give a speech . . . And I've written one, but I feel someone I know can express the words we're all thinking a lot better than I can. Ladies and gentlemen, Maya Hart." The crowd claps as Maya nervously makes her way to the podium and takes out a piece of notebook paper from her robe.

"Um . . ." Maya says as she looks out over the sea of people. "I'm Maya Hart
. . . and... Well, these past few weeks I don't know how I felt. How do you feel when you're about to take on the world you barely even began to understand . . . Before it was are last week of school Mr. Matthews had assigned us a paper to write down our feelings." Maya says and  turns to face Cory where he sat in the front row.

"I know a lot of us didn't do it, but he thought it would be a good idea." Maya explains as turns back to the crowd.

"Sometimes, he was right, and sometimes he was wrong . . . But this time he could've never been more correct. He's always been there for his students and I'm sure we'll remember him for as long as we live . . . But back to the point . . ." Maya says swallows the lump in her throat forming.

"I don't think any of us could pinpoint a certain feeling we were having about graduation, because there is always no simple answer. You go through this tiny little world for what seems like forever, but really it's a split second, and then you enter this even bigger world. This brand new world, and I think that's what most of us knew. We're going off to do better things and to become people and to take on the world. I think that's what graduation is about. You're leaving this small world, and entering a new one, no matter what you feel. So . . . We're going to face it head on, like we always do."

The crowd erupted with cheers and Maya takes her place beside Riley and Farkle again. Each student is called to get their diplomas and finally, the time came to throw caps and gowns.

Then a thought occurred to Riley that she'd been thinking about ever since Maya decided to go with her to Pennbrook. She turns to Maya.

"You know how we're taking on a new world?" Riley asks Maya as everyone gets ready to stand. Riley looks at Maya desperately, as if the world were going to end any second.

"Yeah . . . Honey what's this all about?" Maya asked confused but also worried.

"Well . . ." Riley hears her dad say the class name. "I want to take on this world with you." Riley says as she stares at Maya who is confused.

"Riley, we always have you know I'm always going to be right beside you." Maya says as she's about to stand up.

"The class of 2019!" Cory says and everyone stands.

"Maya, will you marry me?" Riley blurts out her sentence and Maya sits back in her seat confused.

"Riley, were already engaged. There's no reason for you to ask me to marry you." Maya asks confused.

"I know but I wanted to ask you and right now felt like the perfect time and also because I got you this." Riley explained as she pulled out a small box from her gown and got down on one knee.

"Maya I already know where engaged but I'm still going to to ask you. Maya Hart I been in love with you since we were kids but I was to blind to realize it. We been through a lot but we always found a way to overcome the obstacles. Maya Hart will you do me the extraordinary honor of marrying me." Riley says as she looks at Maya who instantly has a big smile and nods.

Riley then gets up and puts the ring on Maya left finger. They then both share a passionate kiss. The two aren't sure how long the kiss lasted just that the only thing that mattered in that moment were each other.

Five or Six more chapters till this book comes to a end which will be tomorrow! I'm glad to have written this book and that many of you have enjoyed it!