Familiar Face

"Hey Maya it's been awhile."

Maya would have recognized that voice anywhere. That voice first person to ever publicly dislike Riley. And the voice of the family Topanga got arrested. That just shows not to mess with Mrs. Matthews.

"Hey Chai I haven't seen you in a while, you look good," Maya said forcing away her shocked state. It was true, Chai did look good. Her appearance had changed a little; her hair was a little bit longer, and she looked even beautiful than the last time Maya saw her.

The two just stared at each other until Chai asked Maya, "If you're not too busy would you like to hang out and grab something to eat? If you are hungry, that is." Chai sounded nervous.

Maya was about to decline her because of how she behaved towards Riley in their freshman year, but that was two years ago. People can change. Maya nodded her head, "I know a place we can eat."

They arrived at the night hawk diner and sat in a booth. Chai looked around the diner, taking in the surroundings. It was clear she had never been there before. Maya was nervous that Chai wouldn't want to eat here from the way she is observing the diner, and was about to ask her if she wanted to go somewhere else to eat.

Chai looked at Maya with a smile on her face, "This looks like a nice place, what do you recommend I should order?"

Maya was relieved, "The tuna melt is my favorite."

They both looked at each other and smiled, and for some odd reason Maya suddenly felt funny when Chai looked at her.

While waiting for their food, Maya decided it would be a great time for her and Chai to get to know each other better. Maya asked her about her favorite movies, favorite foods, the genres of music she listened to, what sort of hobbies she was interested in, and a slew of other questions that popped into her head. Chai answered them all eagerly and in turn asked Maya the same ones.

They enjoyed their food, but after they finished eating Chai took the conversation in a different direction. She asked Maya about her family. Anytime Maya was asked about her family she would easily get angry, but for some reason she felt comfortable telling Chai. She told her about her dad leaving, her half of a mom, and Shawn, her step dad.

The two kept talking through the night not realizing it was now morning; they talked all night. Maya finally realized it when she saw the sunlight shinning on Chai. "It's morning already!"

Chai nodded, "We must've talked all night. I didn't realize what time it was."

They both looked at each other, and Maya suddenly realized that they had been holding hands. She raised their hands so Chai can see their hands connected.

"Did you know we were holding hands?" Maya asked with a teasing tone. Chai smiled and blushed slightly.

"Yeah, is that okay with you?"

Maya nodded, and Chai held Maya hand tighter.

Suddenly remembering she had to pick up Riley, Maya started to panic. She wouldn't have time to go home and change, and her mom must be so worried. Hopefully she hadn't called the Matthews looking for her. Maya knew she needed to make up some excuse for not showing up to dinner. Chai noticed Maya's worried expression.

"What's wrong Maya?"

"I need to pick up Riley, and she's going to notice I'm wearing the same clothes from yesterday. Plus I have to figure out a reason why I didn't show up for dinner!"

Chai could see how upset Mays was, and suddenly came up with an excuse for her. "Just tell Riley you were painting, and you lost track of time. You didn't text her because you were tired. As for the clothes, tell her you woke up late and didn't have time to change out of what you passed out wearing."

Maya face instantly light up and hugged Chai tightly while saying, "Thank you! Thank you so much!" She paused momentarily, "Should I be concerned you came up with that so fast?"

Chai giggled and hugged Maya back with a smile on her face. They pulled apart and stared at each other once again. That feeling Maya had the night before came back.

Suddenly, Maya realized she was already late to pick up Riley. She gathered her books and backpack and turned to Chai, "Bye Chai. It was nice talking to you tonight. Maybe we can hang out again if you're not busy?"

Chai nodded her head and grabbed a piece of paper to write down her number. She handed it to Maya with a smile, "Here's my number."

Maya took the number ran off towards Riley apartment, her mind swimming with thoughts about yesterday.

Do you think Riley is going to suspect anything?
What do you think Maya was feeling?
Do you like Chai?