The Lie

Maya took off running towards Riley's apartment. Her mind was swimming with thoughts about the previous day. She arrived at Riley's apartment  and immediately began climbing the fire escape. Maya reached the Bay window and climbed through into her best friend's room. She didn't see Riley so she made her way down to the living room to look for her.

Riley was found in the living room talking to her parents, "I'm worried about Maya, she was acting all weird yesterday at Mom's cafe when we revealed our sexuality, and she left in a hurry. Not to mention she didn't show up yesterday for dinner like she always does."

Maya could hear the worry in Riley's voice.
Before Cory or Topanga could say anything to assure Riley everything was ok they saw Maya enter the room.

"Why don't ya turn around, Riley? I think you'll be very happy," Cory said to Riley.
She wore a confused expression as she turned around to find Maya with a smile on her face. Riley instantly took off running towards her and pulled her into a tight hug. "Peaches your back! I was so worried that something happened because you didn't show up yesterday for dinner, and were acting weird yesterday! Why didn't you show up for dinner?"

Maya knew she had to lie, something she and Riley swore to they'd never do. She didn't want to hurt Riley by telling her the truth, that she was up the entire night talking to Chai. "I was painting and lost track of time. I was so tired when I finished I passed out before I could text you," Maya telling with a casual tone.

Riley's expression changed from worry to confusion as she noticed Maya's clothes, "Why are you wearing the same thing you did yesterday?" Her voice rang with suspicion.

"I woke up late and didn't have time to change out of what I fell asleep wearing. It was either change or miss picking you up." Maya inwardly prayed Riley believed her. Her story made sense, plus Riley would never expect her to lie.

Riley nodded in understanding, believing the story Maya told her.
"Breakfast is ready," Topanga called from the kitchen.

Riley and Maya ate quickly so they wouldn't miss their subway train. They had to run there; somehow they made it without Riley tripping.

When they arrived at school they entered together, holding hands.
"Did everyone finish their health assignment?" Zay asked the group.

Everyone nodded, and the six friends headed towards health class. Maya and Riley were still holding hands as they took their seats.

Riley just stared at Maya with a smile until the teacher snapped her out of her thoughts, "Riley, are you there?" He snapped his fingers, "Matthews!"

"Sorry," she shook her head as she came back to reality.

"Good, now if you're done staring at the back of Hart's head with heart eyes I'd really like for you to pay attention." Mr. Fannucci walked back to the front of the class, leaving Riley with a deep blush across her face.
The entire class snickered, only making her reaction worse.

Everyone seemed to understand what had happened except for Maya, who wore a confused expression on her face. Dawning hit her and soon that was replaced with an amused smile. She turned to face Riley, only causing the brunette to blush harder.

"Everyone, please turn your attention to the front of the room," he shook his head in exasperation. "I need all of you to pass your assignments to the front of the room." Once he had collected all of the papers he turned to the board, picked up a marker, and wrote "Sexuality" in big letters.

"Now I'm going to assign another assignment. You are going to explain to me how you know your true sexuality. The reason I'm assigning these things? Not many schools teach sexuailty, and I know a lot of people your age are dealing with confusion. You could be questioning who you are and I'm doing what I can to help you all work through that."

While the new assignment was being explained Riley lost herself staring at Maya, while Maya was busy thinking about Chai, the night before, and the confusion she was feeling. No one in the room noticed there was someone staring at the two girls with a smirk across their face.

Who was staring at Riley and Maya?
Why was Riley acting like that towards Maya?
Why is Maya thinking about Chai?
Will Riley find out the truth?