Sixty-Two

Kira

Over four days of being stuck in this godforsaken underground shelter made me want to cry with happiness that I was finally getting out into the sunlight again.

The kids were falling sick and there was a cough infestation spreading through the shelter. Unable to stand it anymore, Zina and the leading females decided to open the main door to let in some fresh air.

A few people rushed outside for some air, while most of us hovered around the staircase. Mom was with the omega women when I excused myself for a stroll. I stopped when I saw Zina chewing some mint herbs with a sick look on her face.

“Are you okay? You look bad,” I said to her, rushing with concern towards her. “You need lots of rest. Don't you think you're overworking yourself?”

She dismissed my concerns with a smile and wiped the sweat on her forehead. “It's nothing serious. Just first-trimester pregnancy complications. The mint makes me feel better.”

Giving her a clenched half-smile of pity, I placed my hand tenderly on her back. She  led me to the window.

This place felt so disconnected from the outside world. It felt like we were trapped inside our little universe. Not much could be seen except grass and forest.

Zina took a seat on the window sill, glanced out the glass, and spat into a small container. Losing control of one's body while pregnant was already terrifying, then the mother had to worry about her child's safety. I never imagined that I would be able to become a mother or even carry a child to term.

"It's so crazy how this world is," I said to her. "One minute we're free as birds, next minute, we’re bundled up like sardines and scared for our lives. I can't shake this terrible feeling that something's gone wrong.”

She let out a tired laugh. "Don't worry, I have a good feeling about this. D'Angelo is wise and has the best warriors by his side. I'm sure soon they'll be home dancing in victory. I trust them with my life.”

Trust was a very dangerous word especially when we had no idea how the warriors were doing. I wish there was some outside news for us. Somehow, Zina's confidence relaxed me.

"You know, Kira, I'm glad D'Angelo found you," she said, smiling and winking at me. My heart kicked up its heels and felt all fluttery inside. I could tell my cheeks were flushed crimson with heat.

Zina thought I was worthy enough to be with D'Angelo. That was all the validation I needed.

"And why is that?" I asked her, pretending to be unaffected.

"Because I've never seen D’Lo so in love with anyone, not even when we were together."

My mouth was falling open in shock when I clamped it shut and I felt a sudden feeling of cold that expanded from my chest to the rest of my body, leaving me completely paralyzed.

Did she mean…

No way, right?

I probably misheard her. My trembling hand scratched the back of my neck as I slowly faced her, hating how dizzy I was feeling.

"You mean you were in a relationship with D'Angelo?" I said softly. Zina wiped at her mouth, swallowing her laughter.

“Yeah, we used to be together. But that's all in the past now. He didn't tell you?"

I shook my head and stared at my feet. I couldn't unsee the image of them exchanging bodily fluids. He kissed her lightly on the lips the night she announced her pregnancy.

Now their intimacy made sense.

“Kira,I'm not your rival. Don't think too much about it, darling," she reassured me. "We were young and foolish, and our relationship kind of stemmed from our mothers, who were more or less best friends. Then when D'Angelo lost his mom, he spent more time in my house, and while we were struggling with our teenage hormones, we fooled around quite a bit until I found out Grey was my mate,” she confessed.