Seventy-Four

A thunderous applause filled the massive community center as I took the stage. There were thousands of heads and eyes focused on me.

Blood Moon Pack had only one alpha family, ten beta families, fifty gamma families, over five hundred delta families, and unrecorded Omega families. Everyone, men, women, and children, gathered around in the main hall of the community center and the overcrowded annex halls.

Leo stood firm behind me because, according to him, he was protecting me from my enemies and didn't want to lose me in the same way that he lost Grey.

The crowd cheered, and I motioned for them to be quiet. Alexis, whom I had not seen since the war, was standing with her father and siblings. When our gazes met, I felt a rush of guilt and turned away to address the audience.

"My people, today I stand before you with a heavy heart. Yes, we emerged victorious from the war, but this battle tested our strength and unity. I sympathize with our brothers from the other packs who lost their lives, but I'm also grateful that the casualties were not greater. I'm on the mend after spending a few days in the hospital."

The audience applauded, and I raised my hands to stop them.

"But, as you all know, I lost someone close to my heart, someone I could undoubtedly call my best friend."

The hall was dead silent as everyone feared I would crumble and burst into tears, which, according to my father, was a sign of a weak leader. But for Grey, I'd rather be seen as weak.

I cleared my throat to get rid of the thickness and continued speaking while looking around to see if Zina was nearby, but there was no sign of her. Fortunately, this was broadcast live.

"Even now, I can not believe he gave up his life for me. It feels like a cruel prank. And it was especially painful that we had fought so valiantly only to have someone infiltrate our ranks and take Grey's life."

The whispers and side talks grew, and everyone began speaking in low voices. The enemies were among them; the enemy was within, and I promised not to stop until I found them.

My outraged voice caused them to fall silent. It was firm, with a severe warning.

"Let me be clear about one thing. Those insiders with evil intentions against me, plotting and waiting for my downfall, will not go unpunished. I promise you, by the power bestowed upon me by the goddess, that I'll find you and that you will compensate for the loss of my friend. I'm not stupid enough to know that there are enemies within, but you should tremble in fear because I'll find you and kill you."

My voice was cold and exact, subduing my pack mate, who remained silent."But, to the innocent among us, I implore you to remain vigilant and security-conscious. Let's not be caught off guard again, and may we never have to face another war. Together, we will rebuild, heal, and ensure that our park remains a peaceful and harmonious environment."

A roar of applause filled the room, and I dismissed the audience.

"That was a fantastic speech," Leo exclaimed as he led me to the car. "I'm sure Grey will be proud of you, wherever he is."

"If only words could bring him back to life," I said sadly, taking an audible breath and looking out the window.

"So, now that you have given your speech, can you resume normal activities? Since the war, all schools, markets, and businesses have been shut down."

"Not yet," I replied, raising my hand. "Let us bury our friend first."

Leo's face was pinched, and he nodded tightly as if holding back from countering me.