~~Thirteen~~

D’Angelo

With fear in her bright blue eyes, Kira studied me. She had every right to feel this way, and if I were in her position, I would feel the same way. We both remained silent for a while.

The amount of control this girl had over me was insane. She was making me change rules that were never meant to be altered—a century-old tradition that would make my father recoil in his grave.

"You can't do that," she repeated.

Kira and I belonged to different social classes, but I saw that she was not as shy as I had assumed. Even in the face of intimidation, she exhibited common sense, honesty, and a hint of boldness and resistance.

“I won't warn you again. I can do as I want because I am the alpha. Don't challenge me."

She swept her hair over her shoulder and looked directly at me. I knew Zina was the reason she looked so good.

"You cannot put the omegas and my family in danger. The higher-ranked pack mates are vicious and can hurt us. I don't want to bear the blame for my people's suffering."

Her boldness and foolishness made me laugh, and shake my head. "So, are you saying you prefer to live in poverty all your life?"

"It's better than diving headfirst into danger, which could ultimately lead to our death."

I was impressed by her intelligence. An airhead or gold digger would have jumped at the chance to take advantage of this, but she challenged me by carefully considering her options and having a strong compassion for her fellow omegas.

I watched her while taking a steadying breath. Lust took hold of me, causing my balls to tighten.

Kira was lovely and the epitome of femininity. She looked like a model. Her slim build made me wonder if it was from starvation over the years.

There was an exotic quality about her that made me imagine what she might look like naked underneath me.

Knowing that an omega could confront me head-on and not back down like the others who cowered like dumb sheep made me smile. Something about her left me wanting more. It was something I couldn't quite put my finger on yet. I was greatly impressed by her courage.

Her eyes widened as I abruptly stepped toward her, stopping short of grabbing her in my arms and kissing this suppressed sexual hunger out of me.

Her lips parted and something flickered across her face. My wolf begged me to claim and mark our girl, and I imagined parting her thighs and my cock teasing her folds open while sensing the silky heat between them.

The way she gazed at me, like a child gazing at her favorite candy treat trapped in a glass shelf, fed my reckless desire. I became extremely lustful as her eyes became clouded in a seductive haze.

My inner wolf yelled, "Take her now!" but I shook my head and ignored it.

Kira stared at me, waiting for a response. If only she realized how hard it was for me to resist giving in to my instincts.

Her brows furrowed in concern as I began to cough. She took a step toward me, aggravating my cough. My wolf was punishing me for not marking her and messing with my system

I gasped in shock and staggered back, unable to control my body as I attempted to push myself away from her.

She rushed forward and my hands clawed the air as I tried desperately to regain myself.

It was like someone was pulling on the strings attached to my soul, preventing me from moving away from her.

My brain prevented me from pursuing her quickly, despite my wolf's strong desire to do so.

Kira stared wide-eyed at me, terrified, and my head was racing.

"Alpha, you have blood on your lip," she said, gesturing to my mouth.

Her eyes were worried and filled with fear, and her voice was strained.

Without thinking, I touched my lips and blood-drenched my finger. It was nothing serious but was enough to draw Kira’s notice.

"Do you need me to get help?" she asked cautiously.

But before I could respond, a stabbing pain similar to a needle's tip shot through the back of my neck. I hated my fucking wolf and let out a painful groan.

My best attempt was to say, "Please go. Leave me alone."

I sounded weak and tired. I needed her to leave. Right now. I desperately wanted to be alone, and I needed it. But my wolf demanded otherwise.

“But-”

“Get the fuck away!”

She stepped back, hiding her hurt. Without saying anything else, she spun around and hurried off.

My thoughts and body returned to normal gradually. The next few minutes were a blur of blurry images and disjointed sounds.

All my stupid wolf wanted was sex with our mate, leaving me with the consequences of mating with an Omega. It was unfair that l had to bear the consequences of my wolf's poor decisions.

I climbed inside and gripped the steering wheel. I was not prepared for the intensity of the exchange. I almost marked her, almost sealed the bond. A lump formed in my throat and I felt ashamed.

If I marked her, our secret would be revealed. She would wear my mark for everyone to see around her neck. She caused me to quickly decide that I wanted to bring in the omegas. I needed her protected at all costs.

I headed back to the vet clinic, looking for Zina. She had a small dog on her lap that had a bandaged paw.

I gave her a signal, and I made my way to the front desk, waiting for her and ignoring the stares and nervous reactions of her staff. A good number of them were too afraid to even look me in the eye.

"Hey, how did it go?" Zina inquired, removing her blood-stained white lab coat. When she hugged me from the side, I nearly passed out, praying that her dress and hand were not stained with blood.

She excused her staff, warning them not to bother her unless it was an emergency.

"What happened with Kira? Did you tell her how you feel? Did she accept you?" With her gaze sparkling, Zina leaned in to ask.

"So many questions, Zina. I'm not a robot," I said flatly.

"Then give me a summarized answer."

"Well, I told her I wouldn't mark her, but I'm opening the border for Omegas to live with us."

Zina’s mouth dropped open in utter shock.

"You did what? Are you crazy?"

"Maybe I am, but it's the right thing. I mean, I am the alpha; should not I be concerned about my packmates?"

"Pack mates, indeed," she sneered. “You're doing this because your mate is an Omega. Do you know the consequences? Come on, D. Don't be ridiculous"

"I've made up my mind. I'm letting omegas in soon, and nothing can stop me."

Zina blinked, wondering what got over me. "You can't do this," she pleaded. "There are other ways, not this."

"Why not?" I challenged myself. "They're like us but with lower ranks."

"It's wrong, D'Angelo. Breaking the rules that have been in place for centuries before you were born is disrupting the order and balance of the pack.”

“I've made up my mind. I'm opening the gates and letting them live with us."

Her mouth agape, she stared without saying anything. Then she shook her head like a mother watching her foolish child.

"Trying to talk you out of it is pointless because I know how obstinate you are. I just hope in the end you do not regret it. While I acknowledge that the omegas have faced discrimination and prejudice in the past, admitting them is a different ballgame. Think things through thoroughly before making such a major move.