~~~Eight~~~

D'Angelo

Something disturbed my sleep.

Nothing helped my restlessness, not even the velvet pillows or the silk sheets. I couldn't shut my eyes.

It wasn't my Omega mate, Alexis's pregnancy, or the dreadful Alphas meeting where some bastard leaders said that I was far too young to be leading my pack. The fools spoke only out of jealousy and resentment, and they were the least of my concerns.

There were plenty of natural resources available to the Blood Moon pack; copper, gold, coal, natural gas, and fossil fuels. This allowed us to exert influence over the other packs that comprised my clan, as well as the clans that comprised my tribe. But our minerals were so abundant that we were drawing enemies.

My dad told me to be very careful and to keep my enemies closer. Thankfully, I had Leo and Grey, my effective beta and gamma, to support me on this alpha journey.

So what could be the problem? How come I couldn't sleep? I didn't want to feel jet lagged because I had a busy day the following morning.

I turned the air-con up to sixteen, double-checked that nothing dangerous was nearby, and then attempted to fall back asleep.

Nothing worked.

I rolled over in bed, groaning, and prayed to whatever god of sleep to spare me three hours.

A howl of bloodlust pierced the night just as I was about to nod off. That howl didn't belong with the people in my tribe, pack, or clan.

My hair stood on end and my blood ran cold—it was an enemy howl. My wolf stirred and I leaped from the bed and shifted into my enormous black wolf outside the mansion.

I was no longer just the alpha's son; I was an alpha. It was my responsibility to defend my people from harm.

Grey, my gamma, and a few of my warriors had already made their way to the borders. They too heard the howl and knew that it meant we had to make sure the enemy packs had not broken in.

Racing at top speed, we followed the scent as we made our way through forests and over hills, arriving at the border where mountains encircled us. We sniffed the air, searching for any indication, any movement, any footprints.

There was nothing except us and the silence.

Grey's golden orbs met mine. We could not figure it out. Did our pack contain spies?

"Let's head back," I said to them through the mind link, and we all headed back to the mansion after wasting our time and energy. I changed into my human form and sat in the lounge with Grey, Leo, and two warriors.

Everyone was speculating about the identity of the howler. The deadly desert werewolves known as syndicates were our greatest enemies.

After we settled into the lounge, I yawned and stretched out on the leather sofa. "Grey, make sure you and the warriors increase patrols, check cameras, and install more sensors to tighten security around borders." We must always be prepared; I do not want any surprises."

"Of course," Grey said, saluting me. After Leo, Grey was next in command. He was not yet eligible to be Gamma, but I picked him because of our long-standing friendship and his intelligence, loyalty, and dependability.

But Leo, who was loud as usual, butted in and said he'll handle everything.

"Isn't that my responsibility?" Grey asked quietly.

I interrupted them, knowing that Grey was correct and that Leo tended to overstretch problems. "Please, no bickering.”

Obediently nodding, Grey went back to the discussion. "I suspect rogues."

My mate was outside the border, in danger and my heart skipped a beat with anxiety. I felt uneasy, full of guilt.

"Remember that you have the new railway pack launch later this afternoon, D'Angelo."

I groaned and gave Leo a narrowed gaze. "Maybe one of you could just stand in for me?"

"Other alphas will be there. This specific railway line connects various regions. You should at least make an effort to go, smile for the cameras, and so on."

"I’m heading to bed," I said as I stood up, not wanting to talk about politics. "I'll see you later."

They moved aside and gave me a polite bow. I went to my bedroom and, not caring about the mess, threw my clothes on the floor. Then, I crawled into my bed and closed my eyes, falling asleep almost instantly.

At eleven a.m., the clock beeped. I woke up, groggy and sluggish. I felt my stomach growl, having slept longer than normal.

When I saw Alexis in the dining room eating a salad and dressed in a bra and shorts, I was about to escape. She flashed her teeth and gave me a seductive smile.

Shit!

Being in my situation, trapped between an Omega mate and a potential baby mama, was extremely crazy. She came at me like lightning, snatching my arm to stop me and giving me a pouting look.

"I was getting worried and wanted to check on you, baby," she purred in an unbearably sweet tone. “Are you not hungry?”

"Not anymore," I dismissed her. "Plus, I have stuff to do."

Offended, she scowled. “You don't have to treat me like this. Your child is inside me. I have done research online and found that children can sense when their parents do not bond with them, and it affects them. The least you can do is show some respect and care. Would you rather our child be born with a deformity?”

“Well, none of us would be in this situation if you had respected yourself and not pushed yourself on me, ensnaring me with this pregnancy.”

She grasped my arm, "That is not true." I want to be with you because I love you, D'Angelo.

The closer she got, the more her smile became sly. "D’Lo, we need more intimacy and bonding, so I should move into your bedroom."

I laughed uncontrollably. "Are you kidding me? You must be insane. I'll never allow it."

"But—"

"There are no buts, Alexis. We will not play that way. I swear on my father's grave that I will dedicate the rest of my life to caring for our child, but I'm never going to make the mistake of touching you.”