~~Eleven~~

Kira

My steps carried me out of the vet clinic. I inhaled a shaky breath, trying hard to get a grip on myself. I couldn't steady myself, and my thoughts turned into a jumbled mix of fear and maybe hope.

A tiny fraction of my brain leaped. Perhaps the alpha had realized that the bond was too strong for him to ignore. The rational part of my mind was aware that I was just a foolish daydreamer.

It broke my heart to think that he probably planned to reject me. I gathered up my courage and took slow, deliberate steps toward the alpha as he stood beside his car.

"Closer."

His eyes were sharp and assessing, and his gaze lingered on me, holding me still. My legs turned into jelly.

"Good morning, Alpha," I winced at how shaky my voice sounded. I tried not to let myself get out of control, but it came out like a little mouse squeak.

"We need to talk," he said, and without waiting for my response, he took off and entered his car, leaving me standing there like a sheep without its shepherd

He honked his horn impatiently, and I took that as my cue, even though I had no idea what I was doing.

The moment I stepped into the roomy, leather-upholstered car, the cool air of the air conditioner surrounded me. He started the car and the smell of his cologne mixed with the scent of our mating bond registered in my nostrils.

I looked away and stared out the window, watching tall trees swaying by, their branches and leaves a blur of green.

My ribs squeezed too tightly, and my neck bowed. It would've helped me if I could read the alpha's thoughts and know what he was thinking. Hell, I didn't even know if he was angry.

After a few minutes of driving, we came to a stop close to an empty street dotted with construction buildings. The alpha turned slowly to face me and studied every feature with a gentle gaze like a breeze.

I looked away immediately, staring at my palm. He sat back in his chair, studying me with unusual quiet.

"Kira, do you know what you are to me?"

I felt my cheeks getting hot and my breath becoming faster.

My tongue felt like a stone in my mouth as the silence in the car grew stronger. What possible response could I give to an obvious question?

"I'm talking to you," he said abruptly and I trembled like a leaf.

"Cat got your tongue? Give me a response right here and now."

I slowly lifted my head and nodded, much like a lizard basking in the sun. "I... I don't know what to say."

"Don't play dumb with me; you know exactly what I mean. This bond, this damned bond, can you feel it?" His voice grew harsher and lower, raspier.

Barely able to speak, I nodded. My lip throbbed like my heart as I bit it hard, shuddering.

"Good, that's why I called for you, to warn you not to get any ideas. You are unfit, Kira, so I can not be with you."

He paused his speech and wiped his face with his hand. His eyes were tightly closed and his eyebrows furrowed. This was so embarrassing that I lowered my gaze, wishing I could crawl under the earth.

"In my world, an alpha with my level of power needs a strong Luna at their side. Someone intelligent, well-versed, well-liked, and accepted by the group."

My mind turned black with rage as soon as I heard those words, and I felt something inside of me shake violently.

Who paired us together, if not the Moon Goddess? How was it my fault? I would find it too deadly to be paired with the alpha.

"All I'm trying to say is that I have a responsibility to my pack, society, and my reputation to maintain. I can't afford to have a weak mate who would drag me down or cause me trouble."

I usually cried whenever I felt angry. Tears filled my eyes, making the T-shirt the gamma's wife gave me soiled despite my best efforts to stop it. Regarding that, I wonder why in the world she would want me to prepare for a rejection. I felt like a stupid idiot.

"I hope you understand that there's a lot more to the mating bond than the desire for marking and claiming each other's territory. Unlike you, I have thousands of friends and more enemies who are just waiting for me to make a mistake so they can make fun of me."

All I could do was nod. What more could I say? We would have to go through the rejection ritual while I stay single and unhappy forever.

"Aren't you going to say anything?" The alpha snapped, irritated. "I hope you haven't blabbered to your friends and family that we are mates?"

I shook my head, trembling.

"Well, you would better not say anything because nobody can find out. It's an embarrassing situation already."

I tried to stop crying, telling myself over and over, but tears just kept trickling down my cheeks and strangling me because they were so hot.

For a moment, the alpha didn't move, and then he drew nearer and debated whether or not to touch me. He surprised me by putting his hand on my back and rubbing it in soothing circles.

My body throbbed with shame and lust. The touch caused me to become feverish and sent tingling sensations through my body.

"Please don't cry," he said softly. "I know I sound mean to you but it's the truth."

I sobbed, "I... I don't want this. Your words are hurting me; they make me feel so insignificant."

The alpha sighed, looking very uncomfortable, but nodding sympathetically. I was drained and wanted to leave.

"Pull yourself together. I'm just stating the facts; there is nothing we can do about it but accept it and move on."

I raised my head to meet his direct gaze and forced a smile. "It would be best for both of us if you rejected me. You'll be free from the shame of being with an Omega and this cursed bond. But one thing is certain, I will survive and heal. I'll be fine."

The Alpha looked at me, speechless, shocked by my audacity, and taken aback, but his shock quickly turned to rage.

"How dare you act so arrogant? You dare to challenge my authority? I am your alpha!"

Frustrated, I threw my hands. "You refuse to reject me even though you don't want me. Are you enjoying playing games with my emotions? You can punish me all you want, but it won't stop me from telling the truth."

When the alpha tried to speak, a purring mechanism cut him off, changing his tone from angry to one of a defeated man begging for sex.

My lungs couldn't breathe. All I could hear was my pulse pounding against my eardrums. Every heartbeat caused my stomach to turn over, and I felt nervous energy coursing through my entire body. It felt like a snake was squeezing all the oxygen out of the air as my throat closed.

The Alpha let out a deep breath and squeezed the bridge of his nose.

I let out a small whimper and hastily wiped my eyes before swallowing the lump in my throat. I had to stop letting my feelings rule me and get myself together. I had to prove to him that I was tough and could handle anything he threw at me.

My heart pounded against my chest as he took hold of my hand and began to caress it tenderly.