Sixty-Eight

Alexis

With each step, I drew nearer to Room Ten, D’Angelo’s private ward. I hadn't set my gaze on him since he came back, and it was super offensive that people who didn't matter in his life were able to see him while I couldn't.

Even though I was growing accustomed to being ignored and unloved, I had a strong desire to see him when I woke up from my afternoon nap to be sure that my baby's father was alive.

My sandals quietly brushed against the floor. All I wanted was to see him breathing and leave.

The door was closed.  I was hesitant to knock because I didn't want to intrude on anyone, but as I was about to knock, I spotted a tiny hole in the middle of the door and quickly peeked to make sure I was in the right room.

My eyes doubled over with shock at what I saw. It hit me so hard that I almost lost my balance. I stood there, tongue-tied, observing D'Ango kiss someone else.

I couldn't see her face because she was facing away, but she had long ash-blonde hair and looked rather small.

I was too stunned to move, so shaken. D’Angelo was a mystery. Although I knew that he wasn't in love with me and probably never would be, I was completely unaware that he was seeing someone else.

Was she his mate?

I was sickened by what I saw and just stared, unsure of whether to confront him about his infidelity or leave.

When he spun her around, my shock turned into horror, and my body froze. He was cheating on me with an Omega, the same girl that my brother Caleb was smitten with and the same one that Zina had elevated so much that she'd asked her and her mother to dinner with us the other day.

Now everything began to make sense to me. Zina knew about their relationship all along, and because she didn't like me, she wanted to rub it in my face.

My stomach churned, and the food I ate earlier threatened to spill out. I clutched the door handle tightly, forgetting to breathe, piecing together these details and wondering how the hell I didn't see the signs.

This was strange. I did not give it much thought, even though Isabel had been implying to me that D'Angelo was seeing someone else. She wanted me to look into her claim because she was so confident in it.

This was concerning and offensive. Why would he downgrade and pick an Omega over me? Their body language made it clear to me that this was more than just a friendly romp as he drew her in closer and continued kissing.

They kissed like mates.

I detested this humiliated, deflated feeling that was starting to pound my blood in my temples. I peeped once more, wondering what it was about this girl who made a strong alpha, with billions at his disposal and lots of well-educated, sophisticated women to pick from.

Even the baby in my womb complained. D’Angelo had bruised my pride. This was beyond unacceptable to me, and it rocked my world.

My body stiffened when I felt a tap on my shoulder, and I turned around swiftly to see Leo standing there with a small smile.

"Hey, why are you peeping and not going inside?" he asked, his baritone filling the hallway. Everyone in the pack house was mourning Gray, and wore black.

I stepped aside, pointing at the door. "Go check for yourself."

His smile vanished, and he looked like a kid caught stealing. This intensified my annoyance.

"Go on, check," I said with a caustic tone that flashed a gentle but firm warning. I watched him critically to catch his reaction.

The idiot widened his eyes, feigning shock, but I wasn't buying it. I saw right through his act and didn't hesitate to call him out.

"Cut the act, Leo. Don't pretend like you didn't know what D'Angelo has been up to."

He raised his hands in mock surrender. "I swear that I had no idea."

My response was a dark smile, and I leaned forward, mentally running through everything I knew about Leo. He was D’Angelo's friend and Beta, even though they didn't have much in common. I could bet on my last cent that he knew this secret.

"You're such a terrible liar; look how guilty you look.”

Leo sighed while scratching his head."Fine, you got me. But we can't talk here; let's go outside."

Clutching the fruit basket and get-well cards I brought for the moron inside who was swapping saliva with a dirty omega, I walked outside like a robot.

It's not like I expected any good news, but I hoped deep inside me that this was just a casual fling and nothing more. Bracing myself, I looked him dead in the eye.

Leo leaned against the tree and plucked a leaf. "I didn't want to be the one to tell you this, but D'Angelo has found love with an omega. She's his mate."

My hand flew to my mouth. That was the wildest thing I have heard in my twenty-three years on earth.

"What? But how?" I stuttered in fragments.

Leo shrugged. "Beats me. I was as shocked as you are when I found out.’

"How long has this been going on?" I asked, my voice trembling with unshed tears.

Leo clarified that D'Angelo discovered his mate during his coronation, indicating that it had been longer than three months. I couldn't believe this.

I cried out in a high-pitched voice, "I feel so violated right now." "I feel insulted. And you knew all along. I'm sure that snitch, Zina also knew, yet everyone hid this from me?

"Alexis-”

“Don't you dare!" I jabbed my manicured finger at his chest. “I thought you had my back. I thought that I would have you and your wife for support in tough times. Yet you couldn't tell me such important information? Why would you hide such a thing from me?"

Leo sighed heavily and fiddled with his wristwatch. "I didn't tell you because I was afraid of hurting you during your pregnancy, and so did D’Angelo. I tried to warn him, to discourage him from making this grave mistake, but he was headstrong."

"No," I firmly shook my head. My tears kept welling up inside of me. I cried like a child.

"I'm such a loser," I cried. "I feel so betrayed. That he would pick an Omega over me makes me feel so insignificant."

"It's the bond," Leo said softly. "Don't blame yourself. The bond can make the ugliest of people look like beauty queens."

His consoling hand on my shoulder made me feel even more irritated.

When I started to walk away in the direction of my car, he asked, "Where are you going?"

I responded with an agonizing silence.