Eighty-Nine

D’Angelo

Breathing heavily, I pressed my back against the trunk of a tree, wiping away the sweat that streamed down my forehead, trickling along my face and neck. My muscles ached from the rigorous training session with the warriors, and my chest rose and fell with each labored breath, consumed by exhaustion.

This was the sacrifice we had chosen to make, preparing ourselves to endure any level of pain. We committed to training relentlessly, pushing ourselves to fight with the strength and speed necessary to defeat Leo.

Shutting my eyes, I felt the rough bark of the tree beneath me, and my ears picked up the distant chatter of the other soldiers as they went on break.

We all had pushed ourselves to our limits, and even when my muscles screamed in protest, I continued fighting.

My eyes snapped open when Hugo approached me, holding a bottle of water.

"You okay, Alpha?" he asked, handing me the water, and I took a long gulp, loving how the liquid slid down my throat and revived me.

Hugo was about to leave when I stopped him."You know, these last few weeks have shown me how truly you are on my side. It's tough to not have trusted people backing one up, but I'm thankful for your loyalty.”

For a fraction of a second, Hugo's eyes grew soft, and I thanked him again with an emotion-rich voice. He nodded, ducking his head and avoiding further eye contact before saluting and departing.

I vowed to myself to repay his kindness and support knowing that his gesture would stay with me forever.

My hand instinctively reached for my pocket, where my phone had been switched off for hours. I needed to check in with Kira and ensure she was doing well. Retrieving my phone, I powered it on, surprised by the flood of messages and voicemails waiting for me from Kira and others.

I quickly scrolled through the messages, listening to Kira's voicemail.

"Where are you, D'Angelo?" her voice came through, sounding very worried. I imagined her flapping her hands and looking extremely worried.  "I just want to make sure you're okay. I haven't heard from you all day, and I'm starting to worry. Please call me back as soon as you can."

My gut tightened further as I moved on to her next voicemail, her voice trembling this time. "D'Angelo, Caleb is here with me. He thinks Alexis is in trouble. We've sent you some pictures; you need to check your phone. Please come home or call us back as soon as you can.”

My heart raced so rapidly that it caused a sharp ache in my chest. What the hell did they mean by Alexis being in trouble? Hastily, I scrolled through my messages to search for the pictures and messages Kira had referred to.

My breath caught as I opened the live location; Alexis's hand was stained with blood. Panic surged through me as I struggled to process what I was seeing. Alexis had been close friends with Leo and Isabel, but Leo's twisted mind left me uneasy. If he could orchestrate Grey's murder, there was no limit to what he might do.

I needed to act swiftly. I dialed Alexis, but her phone was off. The same was true for Kira and Caleb. Alarm bells rang loudly in my mind; something was wrong, and I didn't like where this was heading.

My tires screeched as I pulled up to the Omega house and rushed out of my car, slamming the door behind me.

I burst through the second building, and Imani, Kira's mom, met me in the hallway with her eyes streaked with tears.

"What's going on?"

She shook her head violently, and a flash of wild grief was in her eyes."I don't know," she stuttered. The bodyguards were also behind her, looking dejected.

I was already lethargic and cranky and didn't know when I snapped at her. "Where the hell is Kira?”

Imani's words dried up mid-sentence as she tried to explain to me, but I was growing impatient that she was speaking in fragments.

"You idiot!" I seethed, my frustration boiling over. "You've led her right into the enemy's hands. How could you be so careless?”

"Where is she?!" I bellowed at the bodyguard, my anger reaching a boiling point. "You had one job, and you failed miserably. How could you let her slip away? Are you kidding me?”

The bodyguards shifted uneasily, exchanging nervous glances. "She was with a boy, and we didn't notice when she slipped past us. She must have escaped through the underground shelter.”

"Bastard!" I yelled at him. "You've led her straight into the enemy's hands. How could you be so stupid?"

Imani tried to calm me down, but I shook her off, my gaze blazing with fury. "If anything happens to her, I will not forgive you," I said, my voice choking with anger. I turned and rushed out of the house and quickly made my way back to the car.

Where could I even begin? I wasn't certain if Kira was with Alexis, and I harbored a growing suspicion that Alexis might be working with Leo. But deep down, I sensed that she was in danger, and the thought of another death, especially that of my innocent child, weighed heavily on me. I doubted I could ever forgive myself.

I quickly activated the live location feature in my car, anxiously awaiting the GPS to load. When the location finally appeared, I racked my brain, wondering where this was. It was in an isolated area where the buildings were unnumbered.

"Fuck!" I yelled out.

My hands tightened around the steering wheel, and I started the car, navigating through the streets in search of Kira and Caleb. My palms grew clammy. I couldn't shake off the feeling that something had gone wrong.

My frustration boiled over. Why the hell had Kira gone out with Caleb? Hadn't she learned an awful lesson that she couldn't trust any of these people? She was putting herself in danger, all for what?

My jaw clenched as I tried to calm myself down. Hugo and his men were behind me in their vans. I was tired of everything—the deception, the lies, the headaches. It seemed to pile up. Now Leo was using innocent women to carry out his plan.

"It has to be one of these buildings," Hugo said to me on the phone. My gaze scanned the sun-baked road ahead. It was an endless empty land with refineries. We got out of the car, and the sun beat down on my skin.

We fanned out across the landscape, searching every building for any sign. It had been over four hours. We had searched countless uncompleted buildings, but there was no sign of Kira or Alexis.

"That one," Hugo said, pointing at a structure. "We should go check it out."

He pushed open the door, but it was empty, just another abandoned shell of a building filled with the musty smell of decay.

"Where the hell are you, Kira?" I groaned into my hands and feared that I was too late. We continued our search, combing the area until we got to a two-story building. My instincts told me that this was the place they were being held hostage.

"Let's be quiet," I whispered to my warriors. "I'll go to the left wing, and some of you should go to the right."

We stepped inside, and my eyes adjusted slowly to the darkness. Quietly, with our footsteps muffled, we spread out, and I cocked my gun at the ready. The staircase leading to the second floor was rickety, and I could feel my heart jump out of my chest.

My gun was trained on the door at the far end of the hall. Leo had shown that he was capable of doing anything to hurt me.

"Well, well, well," Leo's wife, Isabel, sneered. "Look what we have here, the hero comes to rescue his damsels in distress."