~~ SEVENTEEN

Kira

I gasped in shock as we stood before the big white duplex buildings allocated to us. They stood tall and pristine, a far cry from the leaking tents in the Omega camp.

The exteriors of the buildings were immaculate and new, with large windows and a well-maintained garden. It even had a playground for the kids and two swimming pools.

The gamma, whom I supposed was the vet doctor's husband, led us to the place and handed the keys to Elder Logan, the head of the omegas.

Then he whispered something into the elder's ear, and my heartbeat quickened, wondering what he was telling him.

My suspicions were confirmed when the elder's gaze fixed on me. I felt a prickling in my scalp. The gamma left, and when we were alone, excitement erupted among the omegas—well, except for me, who was curious to know what was said to the elder.

"All right, enough, everyone!" he clapped. "Gather round."

"We have over two hundred omegas here, and only ten duplexes, which means you have to stay family by family and share the space. I'll assign you to your rooms now. No complaints, no arguments, no questions."

Everyone nodded in agreement, and he began to call out the names of the families and the buildings they would stay in.

My mom and I were assigned to the second building, which was the most beautiful and biggest one. Zion and Amari were also our housemates.

Amari ran to my side and gave me a hug as she squealed with delight. The elder assigned the houses, then unlocked the front door. We charged in, but he stopped us.

"The master bedroom is for Kira and her mother," he announced flatly. Everyone in the building gasped in disbelief and started asking each other in whispers and murmurs why we were getting the best room.

"How did they earn it?"Amari’s mom asked, her eyes filled with spite.

I would have avoided Amari if she had not been my best friend because of how horrible her mother was.

Another woman said, "Maybe they did something dirty under the sheets."

"Or maybe we are just lucky," my mom snapped, then went to Elder Logan. Why are you offering the master bedroom to us? We don't want it."

"Silence, woman!" the elder snapped. "Would you dare challenge my authority? Do as I say; I have no answer for you."

My mom and I exchanged glances. She looked so confused. When it comes to trouble, my mother would much rather avoid it. Although I knew the alpha was responsible, I remained silent.

We went to the master bedroom upstairs. My eyes grew wide as I saw how elegant and roomy it was, with a large window looking out to the garden. There was a big, plush bed with feathery pillows and smooth sheets.

There was a massive sliding door closet with built-in lights and large mirrors; there was so much space inside that we could still have room for a mini-boutique. There was a shower, a vanity, and a jacuzzi in the corner of the ensuite.

"Wow, this is fantastic!" My mother jumped on the bed and giggled like a little child. "How lovely this bed is, just like the cloud! It is unbelievable that we get to stay here. The Moon Goddess must have sent favor to us because I don't know why else we were given this room.”

My mom has not looked this joyful in a very long time. She squealed with delight as she hurried to the jacuzzi and turned on the faucet.

"It's nice, Mom," I forced a smile, feeling a pang of guilt in my chest, knowing that there was more to this. The alpha had other plans in mind, so this was not just an act of generosity.

There was a knock on the door, interrupting us. "I'll get it," I announced and headed to open the door.

But when I saw that it was Zion, I shoved him aside and shut the door, leading him to the hallway.

"What do you want?" I asked with a hushed whisper.

He threw his head to one side, pushed out his chest, and dominated me.

"Kira, I have had enough of playing nice for you. It is about time your mother learned about your relationship with that brat."

With my eyes wide with shock, I stepped back. "No, Zion, you can't do that.”

“Why not?” He said, letting out a quick, disgusted snort.

"Because this is not the right moment, Zion. Please I beg you in the name of the moon goddess; Don't do anything stupid. Do not ruin my mom's mood, at least not today; I have not seen her this happy in years."

Zion looked up, a demonic smile on his face, refusing to look at me.

"Can't you see, Kira? I'm trying to protect you from yourself. Something is afoot with that alpha. His goal is to seduce you secretly at night and have sex with you until he releases his sexual urges. You don't need someone like that around." He lowered his voice to a near-growl.

“You're better off without him, Kira. I already see the end of this, and I love and care about you. I smell doom.”

I was at a loss for words. “Zion please...” I pleaded.“Please understand. My mom is going to be devastated.

“She'll heal. I'm trying to protect you.”

"Protect me from what?" I said, getting angry. "Will you please leave me alone and not get in my way?"

Instead of leaving, he shoved me aside, his onion breath fanning my face. "I am going downstairs to tell everyone you are the alpha's mate right now if you will not let me talk to your mother. So pick your poison."

"Zion, please don't do this. Don't complicate matters for me."

"What is going on?" My mother's voice came from behind me. My breathing became labored and my heart began pounding loudly in my ears.

“Oh, hi, Imani. I was on my way to visit you. I have something to tell you.”

Zion winced, but I recoiled at his menacing smile.

My mother's eyes grew suspicious. My mother was a risk-aware and extremely cautious person.
and consequences in an instant.

"So, what is it?" she asked cooly, staring straight through me and keeping her cool under pressure

"Kira, What dirt does Zion have on you that made your face go white?"

"Mom, please, I will explain everything to you inside. I don't want to cause a scene,” I said softly.

She gave me a puzzled look, "Are you pregnant?"

"What! Of course not."

"Good. Let's head inside and don't you dare stop Zion from telling me what the matter is."

The room was as silent as a graveyard. I stared at my foot while my mum sat on the bed, waiting for Zion to speak.

"Your daughter has been hiding a big secret from you, Imani," Zion said, grinning a little, making my mom's face look uncomfortable.

"A secret? What is it? Tell me."

I was so scared that I trembled visibly.

"Kira learned that D'Angelo was her mate during the alpha's coronation. The main reason the alpha brought us into the pack was because he wanted to be close to Kira and knew about it."

Mom let out a horrified scream. My worst fears were playing right before me.

"Please, Mom, I'm sorry." I rushed to her, but she pushed me away.

"You foolish girl," she cried, her head recoiling "I can't believe you kept this from me."

I opened my mouth to speak but my words dried out mid-sentence. My voice faltered, then became steady.

"Mom, please, I beg you. Hear me out. I kept it to myself because I didn't want to cause you any worries.”

Zion cleared his throat and consoled my mom. If I had superpowers, I would have made him spill his guts.

"I have a solution," he said. We should get married right away because, as we all know, alphas can be dangerous. I love Kira. If she says yes, that's the only way the alpha will pardon her.”