~~Six~~

D'Angelo

My heart pounded in my chest upon seeing my Omega mate whose eyes widened like a deer caught in headlights. She clutched the dog she was cleaning and a strong current from the bond moved between us.

Goddess help me!

Carried away, I forgot Zina was standing next to me and I swept my gaze boldly over my mate. Every part of her disturbed me, and I yearned for her touch.

My brain was a poodle. I didn't know whether or not to approach the girl. Her wild, dirty blonde hair cascaded down her back in waves that begged for a desperate trip to the salon. Her head was covered in a wet bandage and her cotton dress, a faded lemon color, had multiple patches.

Despite her run-down appearance, her long lashes framing her eyes made her cornflower blue eyeballs sparkle like stars.

I lowered my gaze to her natural curves, and my senses spun. I was troubled that she had already resumed work because she needed lots of rest. But I chose to keep my feelings to myself because she was an Omega.

The mating bond made the air stuffy. I was screwed. Zina extended her arm to clasp mine, leaning closer as her worried eyes met mine.

"Are you alright?"

"Huh... yeah," I stuttered.

After Alexis's bombshell news the previous night, peace left me. I couldn't sleep and paced around the hallways, aimlessly strolling around the house.

I didn't want Alexis. I wasn't in love with her and couldn't even remember our sexual encounter. My heart ached like a broken record. I would've marked the omega the moment I laid eyes on her if I wasn't Alpha. Unfortunately, being an Alpha came with expectations from society.

There'd be lots of side talks and judgmental whispers. Beyond my forbidden craving for the girl, I had a reputation to maintain.

Before coming to Zina's clinic, I joined my pack for the morning run at daybreak. We gathered at the meeting point and took off.

I was supposed to feel happy after my coronation and not choke on my sorrowful heart. Laughter and good-natured banter filled the air around me as we moved in the direction of the clearing.

I ran faster than the others, lost in my thoughts. Omegas weren't permitted to participate in any pack activities, but ever since I met my mate, I felt an overwhelming urge to make things different.

My bosom friend/ex-girlfriend, Zina appeared through the trees toward me as I stood by myself lost in my thoughts.

She was dressed in a stylish tank top in a contrasting shade of black and yellow and matching pants that hugged her curves. She gave me a bottle of water and pulled her dark hair into a sleek bun while I sipped.

We locked eyes, hers displaying concern.

“You've been acting strange since coronation night.”

"I'm alright," I forced a tiny smile.

She nudged me.”No, you’re not. I can tell when something is bothering you because I know you too well—like the back of my hand. Talk to me."

I handed her the bottle after taking another sip of the water. "Okay, I will let you know later; we can not talk about it in public."

"Now I'm really worried. After the morning run, why don't you accompany me to the veterinary clinic if it is that serious?"

I accepted, and following a quick meeting with the border guards and the chief warrior, Zina and I headed to her clinic, where she was passionate about housing stray dogs and bringing them back to health.