Sixty-Nine

Alexis

I drove over the speed limit, disregarding pack law, and as soon as I arrived at the alpha's estate, I hurried out of my car and made my way upstairs to my room. Isabel rushed after me.

Her husband must have told her over the phone based on her facial expression.

"You also knew and hid it from me, yet you call yourself my friend," I accused. She opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out.

"What, cat got your tongue now? I would never do that to you!”

Isabel flinched while I let out a forceful breath. My vision was blurry as I tried to fend off tears. I felt deeply vulnerable and exposed and wanted to leave this place.

"Alexis, you can't let an Omega win and take your position as Luna. We must fight, even if we have to go dirty to make sure that she's out of the way."

"Ohh, so now you've got advice to give me, huh?" I asked helplessly when I walked past her and rushed into my room to pack my suitcase. Even if I decided to fight for my rights, I needed to clear my head at my dad's house.

I began packing, and Isabel tried to stop me.

"Alexis, you can't possibly give up. That's even worse and more humiliating than walking out without a fight. That lowly Omega girl has insulted you beyond measure. Because of her, D'Angelo brought the omegas in, forced them to live close to his mansion, and at one point even hired her as your maid."

My eyes widened as I recalled a specific moment when I entered my closet and discovered they were by themselves.

"Would you believe that they were cheating right under your nose? I saw them at the apple orchard. It was so shameful."

"Can you just stop?" I trembled, wiping my tears with the back of my palm. "As long as you didn't tell me when you found out, your opinion doesn't count."

"I wanted to tell you, my friend, I swear," Isabel said, eyes brimming with crocodile tears. It looked funnier on her very chubby face.

"So what stopped you?" I gripped the handle of my suitcase.

"My husband threatened to hurt me if I told you. He was waiting for the right time."

"And when is this 'right time'?" I yelled back at her. "After I have my baby and then D’Angelo tosses me out like some discarded rag?"

She shook her head, pleading with me. "Alexis, listen. You have a higher chance of winning. You're the people's choice. You're carrying his kid, and your rival is an omega. Even though the alpha has decided to be foolish, you've got the backing of every woman in this pack. Please don't give up."

It took longer than normal to respond."So what do you want me to do? Go fight dirty with an Omega?"

"You don't need to fight her," Isabel said with an evil grin. "We can find other means to destroy her."

My heart chilled, and I wasn't comfortable with what she was driving at.

“I can't kill her, " I said, clearing things straight and horrified by her suggestion. "May the goddess forbid that I have blood in my hands.”

Isabel boldly moved into my space and grabbed my hand. “Listen to me, Alexis. In this life, it either goes great for you or sucks horribly. Look at you: beautiful, intelligent, sophisticated—everything your man would ever want in a woman. Yet, Angelo is about to dump you for an Omega.”

"That's not enough reason for me to kill her. I mean, I want her out of my life, but I do not wish anyone dead. What if D’ Angelo finds out? He'll kill me.”