TWENTY-FIVE

Kira

I was on the verge of tears as I hurried upstairs, but I had to get to the room quickly because I didn't want anyone to see me cry.

My housemates were getting ready to watch a movie, while the kids were playing hide-and-seek. My mom wasn't in the room when I got there, which relieved me.

I began frantically pacing the floor back and forth. My mental capacity was almost nonexistent. I was dying to let out a scream.

I made a terrible mistake by not even considering the possibility that the alpha wasn't single. The fact that he had not mentioned it was suspicious. I believed what Zion said.

I felt a weight in my chest as I fell onto the bed, and negative thoughts began to take over. It would be nice to just disappear forever because the feeling of rejection completely humiliated me.

It hurt so bad, both mentally and physically, that I felt like I was choking inside my own body and the walls were closing in on me.

I could still feel the burn in my cheeks from D'Angelo's touch; those were the same hands he would use to carry his child.

No matter how genuine the bond was, I would be seen as the home wrecker who was desperate to fuck the alpha to keep his affection. I had no desire for such a title.

Zion's smug smile when he broke the news to me made me wince.

Everything was happening at once, so fast that I couldn't keep up. A tear trickled out from under my eye and down my cheek. I wiped it away angrily with my palm.
I couldn't believe how blind I'd been this whole time.

This made no sense at all. Why was I so invested in an unavailable alpha? Why did I feel the need to want him so badly?

Why can't I deny his existence?

I pressed my face into the mattress in an attempt to suppress the high whine that was rising from inside my throat. Unwanted reminders of everything I'd put myself through caused the tears to start welling up again.

My sorrow turned into a furious rage as images flashed through my mind. I was torn between hating my stupid body for feeling this way and hating the alpha for not severing the connection and releasing me.

“This is all your fault, moon goddess. You cruel, evil creature!" I pointed at the ceiling and cried, damning the consequences of defiling the goddess.

I began to rant, my voice growing higher and louder as I went, making me feel a little lightheaded as my anger boiled like lava.

“Why? Why did you pair me with D’Angelo? Do you enjoy watching me suffer? Is that what you like to do for fun? I hate you so much. You gave me a mate who is not interested in me after making me Omega and taking my father from me."

I kept crying because I thought the moon goddess could hear me, and maybe she could tell me something. Did she really exist, or was it just a made-up story we were forced to believe?

“You’re silent, isn't it? Don't bother answering me. It doesn't matter anyway, but I wish you all the pain you're causing me and I hope it comes to you a thousandfold.”

Now my voice sounded almost muffled. I choked up as I continued to speak in a monotone and a sharp sense of loss and sorrow crushed me.

I grabbed everything I could as soon as I could, stuffed it all into a bag, and made plans to flee as far as I could from this place. I trembled and my eyes burned hot.

When my mom rushed in, she froze in shock and rushed to my side, her face full of alarm.

“What's wrong? Did something happen? Are you alright?”

She gently touched my face, mopping away a few stray tears. I gave a furious nod, but as I struggled to maintain control, my eyes went glassy.

"Everything is fine, Mom."

There was a sting in the pit of my stomach when I saw her. Trying not to show my hurt, I turned around. She held my hand, waiting for an explanation, but I couldn't speak.

The silence only served to fuel my sorrow. My mom carefully led me to the bed, encircling me in her arms and rocking me like a baby because she knew me well enough to recognize when something was bothering me.

I sat silently for a while, sounding almost robotic, and said, "Mom, I do not like it here. I want us to leave."

My voice was thick with pain. She blinked in surprise. “Leave to go where honey?”

“I don't know. Anywhere but here. I hate it here, and…”

My voice faltered and I paused before continuing. “I just want to be normal and happy for once. Is that asking for too much?

A worried crinkle appeared on her brow "Tell me, what did you hear? Who made you cry?”

“Doesn't matter, mom. I want to leave.”

"Unless you tell me what happened, we can't leave."

I took a deep breath, failing miserably to control my emotions. "I heard something that hurt me," I said. "The alpha has a pregnant fiancée. Can you imagine that?”

The color left my mom's face. For a split second, her mouth dropped open. A heaviness squeezed my throat as we sat in agonizing silence.

"Did Zion tell you this?"

I nodded, and she cursed under her breath. "Why does that boy like to see you cry?"

"Mom, please," I grabbed her arm. "We need to leave this place. I don't want to stay here."

“Kira, don't let this define you.”

I broke down into a fit of hysteria, trembling violently, and sobbing aloud. It was too much. I couldn't stop the tears from falling down my face quickly enough. My mom's grip on my shoulders tightened. She tried to calm me down by stroking my hair.

"Honey, there is nowhere else for us to go. There is violence, poverty, hunger, and misery in the harsh world outside this pack. We cannot survive outside our territory. No one cares about omegas' welfare, not to mention that we're females without any male to back us up,” she said firmly in a soft voice

"I don't care at this point!" I carelessly spoke. "I never want to see the alpha again, Mom. I'm hurting, and I swear I'll run away and never come back if you do not accompany me."

She opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out. Then she rubbed her palms on her lap.

"Kira, it's going to be hard for us out there. From the stories I heard, other packs are severe towards rogues and we would have to suffer and be exposed to sexual abuse from predators."

"Mom, we'll survive. Please let's just try," I cried, clutching her arm. "Fine, you can stay, but I'm leaving as soon as we are done talking. I promise you I'll never return even if you give me a thousand reasons to stay.”

Her mouth formed a small O and she shook her head and closed her eyes for a few seconds as if she was praying. Then she stood up and became irritated, with both hands on her hips.

"Kira, I know your heart is broken, but let's not rush to conclusions. I promise you that I will talk to the alpha and find a solution to this."

"No!" I yelled, giving her a dark look. “We must leave tonight.”